THE GS TRAM SITE
NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
Sydney after the reintroduction of tram (Light Rail) services
GS Web Site Home
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Metro Transport Sydney
LIGHT RAIL (TRAM) ROUTE
|Metro Light Rail
||Central Station - Chinatown - Darling Harbour - Pyrmont - Glebe - Rozelle Bay - Lilyfield
||City Centre - Darling Harbour - Chinatown - City Centre [Circular route, one way]
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Light Rail (Tram) line: 7.2 km.
- Monorail: 3.6 km.
- Horse tramways: 23 Dec. 1861 - 31 Dec. 1866. (Also, short-lived systems in 1879, 1894)
- Steam tramways: 30 Sept. 1879 - 1910 (on the private line Parramatta to Redbank Wharf (Duck River) until 1943).
- Cable tramways: 1894 - 14 Jan. 1905.
- Electric tramways (first generation): 9 Nov. 1890 - 20 Apr. 1892; 8 Dec. 1899 - 25 Feb. 1961.
- Electric tramways (second generation): 11 Aug. 1997 - today.
- Monorail: July 1988 - 30 June 2013.
The Sydney Tramway Museum in Loftus, about 30 km south of the city centre,
runs old trams along 3.5 km. of track.
- Keenan, D.R. Tramways of Sydney. Sans Souci (N.S.W.): Transit Press, 1979.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No.126: Sydney, Australia" Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2018 (81: 964), p.142-148.
- Sydney Tramway Museum: Visit souvenir. Sutherland (N.S.W.): South Pacific Electric Railway Co-operative Society, 2004
- Taplin, M. "Trams return to Sydney". In: Light Rail Review 8. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 2008 [p.34-39].
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2018
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.