CAERDYDD - CARDIFF
GS Web Site Home
Operator: Stagecoach Group , on behalf of the
Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority (GMITA)
TRAM ROUTES (TRAMLINK)
The route numbers are not in everyday use.
||Piccadilly Station - Old Trafford - Stretford - Altrincham
||Piccadilly Station - Victoria Station - Prestwich - Bury
||Piccadilly Station - Old Trafford - Eccles
||Bury - Prestwich - Victoria Station - Old Trafford - Stretford - Altrincham [Does not run early in the morning and in the evening during
weekdays and Saturday; does not run at all on Sunday]
- Tramway (Metrolink): 37 km.
- Horse-powered tramways: 17 May 1877 - 1903.
- Steam-powered tramways: 1882 - 1905.
- First-generation electric tramways: 7 June 1901 - 10 Jan. 1949 (in Bury until Feb. 1949 and in Stockport until 25 Aug. 1951).
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): 20 July 1992 – today.
- Tramways / Metrolink: 1435 mm.
The Museum of Transport , in Smedley, just north of Victoria Station, has a horse-drawn tram, two early electric trams and the prototype
Metrolink tram from the early 1990s.
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- "Metrolink on the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2008 (71: 847), 24p. supplement.
- Symons, J. & Johnston, H. "Manchester: The 20 year wait for a tram!", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2002 (65: 775), p.248-252.
- Wilson, A. "A brief history of the Manchester tramways", The Modern Tramway. Nov. 1941 (4: 47), p.124-125. and Dec. 1941 (4: 48), p.140-141.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile Special: Metrolink, Manchester, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2011 (74: 883), p.263-268.
- Yearsley, I. The Manchester tram. Huddersfield: The Advertiser Press,1962.
- Young, A.P. "Britain's first new generation tramway", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1992 (55: 655), p.173-179.