CAERDYDD - CARDIFF
GS Web Site Home
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: The RATP Group , on behalf of the
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
TRAM ROUTES (TRAMLINK)
The route numbers are for convenience, and are not in use by the operator.
||Bury - Prestwich - Victoria Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Trafford Bar - Old Trafford - Stretford - Brooklands - Altrincham
||Piccadilly Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Victoria Station - Prestwich - Bury
||Piccadilly Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Trafford Bar - Old Trafford - Stretford - Brooklands - Altrincham
||Piccadilly Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Salford Quays - Eccles
||Piccadilly Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Salford Quays - Media City
||Oldham - Failsworth - Victoria Station - Piccadilly Gardens - Trafford Bar - St Werburgh's Road
NB: The above routes are weekday daytime services. Routes 1 and 5 do not run on weekday evenings, and on weekends and public holidays. When
route 5 does not operate, route 4 also stops at Media City. Weekend services are from Piccadilly to Bury, Altrincham and Eccles, and from Oldham to St Werburgh's Road.
- Tramway (Metrolink): 51.2 km.
- Horse-powered tramways: 17 May 1877 - 1903.
- Steam-powered tramways: 1882 - 1905.
- First-generation electric tramways: 7 June 1901 - 10 Jan. 1949 (in Bury until Feb. 1949 and in Stockport until 25 Aug. 1951).
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): 20 July 1992 – today.
- Tramways / Metrolink: 1435 mm.
The Museum of Transport , in Smedley, just north of Victoria Station, has a horse-drawn tram, two early electric trams and the prototype
Metrolink tram from the early 1990s.
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- "Metrolink on the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2008 (71: 847), 24p. supplement.
- Symons, J. & Johnston, H. "Manchester: The 20 year wait for a tram!", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2002 (65: 775), p.248-252.
- Wilson, A. "A brief history of the Manchester tramways", The Modern Tramway. Nov. 1941 (4: 47), p.124-125. and Dec. 1941 (4: 48), p.140-141.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile Special: Metrolink, Manchester, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2011 (74: 883), p.263-268.
- Yearsley, I. The Manchester tram. Huddersfield: The Advertiser Press,1962.
- Young, A.P. "Britain's first new generation tramway", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1992 (55: 655), p.173-179.