THE GS TRAM SITE
AUCKLAND - TĀMAKI-MAKAU-RAU
NEW ZEALAND - AOTEAROA
NEW ZEALAND - AOTEAROA
GS Web Site Home
Operator: Auckland Transport Board
I do not have exact data on the actual routes used by Auckland trams. The table below shows the most likely route outlines, with no exact indication of the downtown streets used by each. Route indications
are of an indicative nature only, they were not used by the Auckland Transport Board
||Queen Street - Eden Terrace - Mount Albert - Avondale
||Farmer's Trading Co. - Hobson St. - Pitt St.
||Manukau - Greenlane Hospital [shuttle]
||Queen St. - Ponsonby - Grey Lynn
||Queen St. - Symonds St. - Newmarket - Great South Rd.
||Queen St. - Herne Bay
||Queen St. - Parnell - Remuera - Meadowbank
||Queen St. - Eden Terrace - Balmoral - Mount Roskill
||Queen St. - Newmarket - Manukau - Onehunga
||Queen St. - Eden Terrace - Owairaka
||Queen St. - Ponsonby (Three Lamps)
||Queen St. - Great North Rd. - Point Chevalier
||Queen St. - Parnell - Remuera
||Railway Station - Queen St. - Town Hall
||Queen St. - Mount Eden - Three Kings
||Queen St. - Symonds St. - Remuera - Victoria Av.
||Queen St. - Great North Rd. - Westmere
||Queen St. - Great North Rd. - Zoo
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Horse tramways: 1884 - ?
- Steam tramways (in Takapuna, on Auckland's North Shore): 22 Dec. 1910 - 26 Apr. 1927
- Electric tramways: 24 Nov. 1902 - 29 Dec. 1956.
The Museum of Transport & Technology in Western Springs, one of Auckland's western suburbs,
runs old trams along 1.7 km. of track.
- Pulling, N. "Auckland's rail future", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2013 (76:912), p.236-237.
- Russell, M. "Keeping Auckland's trams and rarities alive", Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2010 (73:870), p.236-237.
- Stewart, G. Around Auckland by tram in the 1950s. Wellington: Grantham House Publishing, rev.ed., 2002.
- Stewart, G. The end of the penny section: When trams ruled the streets of New Zealand. Wellington: Grantham House Publishing, rev.ed., 1993.
Hit count for the GS Tram Site:
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2017
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.