THE GS TRAM SITE
LISBOA – LISBON
The system after further elimination of tram lines – the outer ring line (routes 17, 24 and parts of 25) and of the radial lines between Cais do Sodré and Rato (routes 24 and 25) and
between Anjos and Praça do Chile (route 17); the metro system is substantially enlarged, however.
LISBOA - LISBON
MTS - SUL DO TEJO / SOUTH OF THE TAGUS
GS Web Site Home
INSET: CENTRAL LISBON
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
||Praça Luis de Camões
||Praça do Comércio
||Rua da Conceição
||Praça da Figueira
Operator: Companhia Carris de Ferro de Lisboa (Carris)
URBAN TRAM ROUTES
||Praça da Figueira – Martim Moniz – São Tomé – Praça da Figueira [circular route, clockwise]
||Praça da Figueira – Praça do Comércio – Cais do Sodré – Santos – Alcântara-Mar – Santo Amaro – Belém – Algés
||Alfândega – Praça do Comércio – Cais do Sodré – Santos – Alcântara-Mar – Boa Hora – Ajuda
||Alfândega - Praça do Comércio – Conde Barão – Santos – Lapa – Estrela – Prazeres
||Martim Moniz – Intendente - Graça – São Tomé – Rua da Conceição – Pr. Luis de Camões - São Bento – Estrela – Prazeres
||Ascensor da Bica: Largo do Calhariz – Rua de São Paulo
||Ascensor da Glória: S. Pedro de Alcântara – Restauradores
||Ascensor do Lavra: Rua Câmara Pestana – Largo da Anunciada
Operator: Metropolitano de Lisboa
UNDERGOUND (METROPOLITAN) ROUTES
||[Linha da Caravela – Green Line]: Campo Grande – Alvalade – Areeiro – Alameda –
Anjos – Intendente - Rossio – Baixa-Chiado – Cais do Sodré
||[Linha de Gaivota – Blue Line]: Baixa-Chiado – Marquês de Pombal – S. Sebastião – Pontinha
||[Linha de Girassol – Yellow Line]: Campo Grande – Saldanha – Marquês de Pombal – Rato
||[Linha do Oriente – Red Line]: Alameda – Oriente
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramways: 48 km.
- Metropolitan : 28 km.
- Bica – 283 m.
- Glória – 265 m.
- Lavra – 180 m.
- Urban tramways: (mule-drawn) 17 Nov. 1873 - 10 Aug. 1902; (steam): 1889 - ? ; (electric): 31 Aug. 1901 - today.
- Metropolitan lines: 29 Dec. 1959 - today.
- Funiculars: (hydraulic) 19 Apr. 1884 - 1914 ; (steam) 28 June 1892 - 1914; (electric) 1914 - today.
- Urban tramways : 900 mm.
- Metropolitan: 1435 mm.
- Funiculars: 900 mm.
- Cross, B. "Lisboa: New transport policy, and how to make the most of a tour of the Portuguese capital city", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Dec. 1995 (58: 696), p.412-414
- Cross, B. "Lisboa - How a tried design kept replacement costs down", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Jan. 1996 (59: 697), p.13-14
- Dias, M.T. História do Eléctrico da Carris - The history of the Lisbon trams. Lisboa: Quimera, 2nd ed., 2005.
- McLoughlin, I. "Lisbon tramways - June 1986" [Map], Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, Oct. 1987 (50: 598), p.354.
- King, B.R. & Price, J.H. The tramways of Portugal - A visitor's guide. Broxbourne [England]: Light Rail Transit Association, 3rd ed., 1983.
- Price, J.H. "The tramways of Portugal: 1964-1968", Modern Tramway, Aug. 1968 (31: 368), p.271-278.
- Pulling, N. "Light rail diversity in Lisbon", Tramways & Urban Transit, Oct. 2011 (74: 886), p.386-390.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Lisboa: Old trams out, new lines in", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2001 (64: 761), p.172-175.
Also, thanks to Manuel Tão in Lisbon for information obtained through personal communication.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2018
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.