THE GS TRAM SITE
STRAITS SETTLEMENTS (BRITISH)
GS Web Site Home
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Singapore Electric Tramways.
Route numbers are mostly indicative, and were not used on the trams themselves.
||Keppel Harbour - Tanjong Pagar - Johnston's Quay - Tank Road
||Tanjong Pagar - South Bridge Rd. - North Bridge Rd. - Kallang Rd. - Geylang Rd. - Geylang
||Kallang Rd. - Lavender St. - Rumah Miskin
||Raffles Hotel - Serangoon Rd. - Rumah Miskin - Paya Lebar
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Steam trams: 3 May 1886 - 1 June 1894
- Electric trams: 25 July 1905 - 4 Sept. 1927
- Underground (Mass Rapid Transit Rail [MRT]): 7 Nov. 1987 - today.
- Light Rapid Transit (LRT) [automated]: 6 Nov. 1999 - today.
- Monorail (Sentosa Express): 15 Jan. 2007 - today.
- Steam & electric trams: 1000 mm.
- MRT/LRT: 1435 mm.
- York, F. W, & Phillips, A. R. Singapore: A history of its trams, trolleybuses and buses - Vol.1: 1880's to 1960. Croydon (England): DTS Publishing, 1996
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2017
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.