ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAP
||Tremont Street subway
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA)
||Ashmont - Mattapan
||Park St. Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Huntington Av. - South St. - Arborway Station
||North Station - Tremont Street subway - Columbus Av. – Egleston
||North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Huntington Av. - Heath St. [On weekdays only]
||Lechmere – North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Beacon St. - Cleveland Circle
||Lechmere – North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Commonwealth Av. - Boston College
||Park St. Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Commonwealth Av. - Washington St. - Watertown Sq.
||Harvard Stn. - Mt. Auburn St. - Watertown Sq.
||Harvard Stn. - Mt. Auburn St. - Belmont St. - Waverley
||Harvard Stn. - Massachusetts Av. - North Cambridge
||Harvard Station - Kendall - Park St. Station - South Stn. - Columbia - Ashmont
||Everett - Sullivan Sq. - North Station - Dover - Egleston - Forest Hills
||Bowdoin - Atlantic Av. - Airport Stn. (Logan Int. Airport) - Wonderland
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Subway lines: ? km.
- Streetcars: (horse-powered) 26 March 1856 - ca. 1900; (electric) 1 Jan. 1889 - today.
- Subway: 1 Sept. 1897 - today.
- Streetcars: 1435 mm.
- Subway): 1435 mm.
The Seashore Trolley Museum, in Kennebunkport (Maine), just NE of Boston, owns and operates historic Boston-area streetcars and subway
vehicles, as well as many other vintage public transportation vehicles from around the world.
- Buckley, R. "No tea party in Boston" Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2012 (75: 900), p.459-461.
- Demery, L.W. "US transit funding - Part 6: Elsewhere in the USA (East Coast) [Boston]" Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, July 1990 (53: 631), p. 219-222.
- Kyper, F. "Tramways in Boston today - Part 1" Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, Jan. 1968 (31: 361), p.11-16.
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). System Route Map. 1956.
- Pence, H. "Blizzard buries Boston" Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2015 (78: 930), p.226-230.
- Simons, V. "Systems Factfile No.99: Boston, USA", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2015 (78: 936), p.488-492.
- Taplin, M.R. Tramways of North America, including rapid transit [Tramway Handbooks No.4] Hassocks (West Sussex, England): Light Rail Transit Association, 1981.
Also, thanks to Jean Liou in France for information obtained through personal communication.