MINNEAPOLIS - ST. PAUL
NORTHERN NEW JERSEY
SALT LAKE CITY
SEATTLE - TACOMA
GS Web Site Home
FIRST INSET: DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES
SECOND INSET: THE LOS ANGELES REGION
Note: For the sake of clarity, only interurban (PE) routes are shown on this map.
Operator: Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (LAMTA) ["Yellow Cars"]
||Jefferson Park – Jefferson Blvd. – Grand Av. – 7th St. – Santa Fe Av. – Pacific Blvd. – Huntington Park
||Brooklyn Av. [today: Cesar Chavez Av.] – 1st St. – Broadway – Pico Blvd. – Mid City (Rimpau Loop)
||3rd & Western – 3rd St. – Vermont Av. – 7th St. – Whittier Ave. – East Los Angeles (Brannock Av.)
||8th & Western – 8th St. – Vermont Av. – 7th St. – San Pedro St. – Avalon Blvd. –
Central Av. – Watts (Manchester Av.)
||East Holliwood (Monroe St.) – Vermont Av. – Vernon Av. – Vernon Yard
Operator: Pacific Electric Railway ["Red Cars"]
Note: The two-character codes used to identify routes below and in the maps are for convenience only, and were not used by the operating company.
||6th & Main – Main – 9th St. – Long Beach Av. – Willowbrook Av. – Long Beach
||6th & Main – Main – 9th St. – Long Beach Av. – Watts
The last two interurban routes were discontinued on 9 April 1961. The last streetcar lines were discontinued in 1963.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Interurban lines: ? km.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: 1874 - 1896
- Cablecars: 1888 - 1896
- Electric streetcars: 1 July 1891 - 1963
- Interurban railways: 1887 - 9 Apr. 1961
- Light rail: 14 July 1990 - today.
- Subway: 30 Jan. 1993 - today
- Streetcars (Los Angeles Railway): 1067 mm.
- Interurbans (Pacific Electric): 1435 mm.
- Light Rail: 1435 mm.
- Subway: 1435 mm.
The Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, southeast of Riverside, owns and operates
a large collection of vintage Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Railway streetcars over 0.8km dual-gauge and 2.4km standard gauge track.
- "Los Angeles and San Francisco", The Modern Tramway, Nov. 1949 (12: 143), p.221-224.
- Simons, V. "LA Light Rail on the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2017 (80: 953), p.172-175.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles: Gone but not forgotten", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2010 (73: 866), p.76-77.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles: Light rail to the Beach - and beyond", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2016 (79: 944), p.295-300.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles - The transformation continues", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2009 (72: 864), p.460-463.
- Simons, V. "Update from Los Angeles", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2013 (76: 905), p.175.
- Skelsey, G. "Hill Street Blues" [The Pacific Electric Railway (PE)], Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, Aug. 1988 (51: 608), p.263-269.
- Smith, G.E. "Los Angeles - The S route", The Modern Tramway, Oct. 1961 (24: 286), p.295-298.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - Megacity needs more light rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2007 (70: 833), p.172-176.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - New light rail line brings gold to Pasadena", Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2007 (70: 834), p.217-219.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - Metrolink: Successful urban rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2007 (70: 835), p.258-261.