INSET: CENTRAL SAN DIEGO
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: San Diego Electric Railway (SDERy)
||5th & Market - 5th Av. - University Av. - Park Bd.
||Union Depot - Broadway - 30th St. - 30th & Adams
||5th & Market - 5th Av. - Washington St. - Mission Hills
||5th & B Av. - 5th Av. - K Street - Imperial Av. - 34th & Imperial
||Union Depot - Broadway - 12th Av. - Balboa Park - Park Bd. - University Av. - Euclid Av. & University
||Coronado Ferry - Market St. - Kettner Bd. - Broadway - 5th Av. - F Street - Kettner Bd. - Market St. - Coronado Ferry
[Loop route, clockwise]
||Union Depot - Broadway - 12th Av. - Balboa Park - Park Bd. - Adams Av. - Talmadge Park
||Union Depot - Broadway - 16th St. - Logan Av. - National Av. - 32nd St. & National
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Horse-trams: 3 July 1886 - ?
- Cable cars: 7 June 1890 - 15 Oct. 1892
- Streetcars: 19 Nov. 1887 - 24 Apr. 1949
- Light rail: 26 July 1981 - today
- Streetcars: 1435 mm. (after 1898); 1067 mm. until 1898
- Light rail: 1435 mm.
The San Diego Vintage Trolley, Inc. restores old San Diego streetcars and hopes to operate them in the future over the regular downtown San Diego Trolley tracks for touristic purposes.
- Mills, J.R. "Ten years of the San Diego trolley: A decade of success in California", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Jan. 1992 (55:649), p.12-17.
- Rice, W. & Robins, K. "San Diego - Where red LRVs rule", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 1999 (62:743), p.412-414.
- San Diego, California: Street guide & automobile road map. San Diego: San Diego Trust & Savings Bank, ca. 1930 and 1940.
- San Diego street guide. San Diego: San Diego Street Guide Publishers, 1941.
- Simons, V. "San Diego: A US original", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2013 (76: 908), p.344-347.
Also, thanks to Rob Van Laun of San Diego for his kind corrections of my maps of the original San Diego
I am particularly thankful to the staff of the Document Archives at the San Diego History
Center in beautiful Balboa Park, without whose helpful assistance in locating relevant maps and street guides I would not have been able to prepare this page.