|Above: YouTubeCA video - Trams in Adelaide, Australia 2017 - Length: 11:46 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA video - Trams in Adelaide - 2006 - Length: 20:37 mins.|
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Adelaide Metro
|1||(Adelaide Entertainment Centre - ) Royal Adelaide Hospital - Victoria Square / Tarndanyangga - Goodwood - Morphettville Racecourse - Glenelg (Moseley Square)|
|2||Adelaide Entertainment Centre - Royal Adelaide Hospital - Botanic Gardens|
|3||Festival Plaza - Victoria Square / Tarndanyangga - Goodwood - Morphettville Racecourse - Glenelg (Moseley Square) [Weekends and events days only]|
Note: Route numbers are of an indicative nature only, and are not used by the operator.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- 17 km.
- Horse tramways (1): 1861 - 1866.
- Horse tramways (2): Dec. 1878 - 1914.
- Electric tramways in Adelaide: 9 March 1909 - today.
- Electric tramways in Port Adelaide: Apr. 1917 - July 1935.
- Tramways: 1435 mm. (with one early exception at 1600 mm., later converted to 1435 mm.)
The Tramway Museum, St Kilda, north of Adelaide, has a large collection of preserved trams, often used for tourist rides on city streets.
- Hammond, I. "Port Adelaide: Light relief for old railway" Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2006 (69: 820), p.158-159.
- Horne, R.T. "Adelaide", letter to the editor (with a map) in Modern Tramway and Light Rail Review, March 1973 (36: 423), p.98.
- Price, J.H. "Adelaide, 1988" Modern Tramway and Light Rail Transit, Oct. 1989 (52: 622), p.337-343.
- "Rethinking Adelaide" Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2018 (81: 964), p.140.
- Taplin, M. & Hammond, I. "Systems Factfile No.64: Adelaide, Australia" Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2013 (76: 901), p.19-22.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.