|Above: YouTubeCA Trams/Light Rail in Sydney, Australia 2017 - Length: 9:47 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA Sydney Trains Vlog 1584: Sydney CBD & South East Light Rail - Tram Testing at Central Chalmers St 14 Aug 2019 - Length: 10:19 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA MONORAIL train in Sydney CBD, Australia, HD video, real sound - Length: 5:48 mins.|
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Metro Transport Sydney
LIGHT RAIL (TRAM) ROUTE
|Metro Light Rail||Central Station - Chinatown - Darling Harbour - Pyrmont - Glebe - Rozelle Bay - Lilyfield|
|Metro Monorail||City Centre - Darling Harbour - Chinatown - City Centre [Circular route, one way]|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Light Rail (Tram) line: 7.2 km.
- Monorail: 3.6 km.
- Horse tramways: 23 Dec. 1861 - 31 Dec. 1866. (Also, short-lived systems in 1879, 1894)
- Steam tramways: 30 Sept. 1879 - 1910 (on the private line Parramatta to Redbank Wharf (Duck River) until 1943).
- Cable tramways: 1894 - 14 Jan. 1905.
- Electric tramways (first generation): 9 Nov. 1890 - 20 Apr. 1892; 8 Dec. 1899 - 25 Feb. 1961.
- Electric tramways (second generation): 11 Aug. 1997 - today.
- Monorail: July 1988 - 30 June 2013.
- Metro: 26 May 2019 - today.
- All tramways: 1435 mm.
- MetrO: 1435 mm.
The Sydney Tramway Museum in Loftus, about 30 km south of the city centre, runs old trams along 3.5 km. of track.
- Keenan, D.R. Tramways of Sydney. Sans Souci (N.S.W.): Transit Press, 1979.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No.126: Sydney, Australia" Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2018 (81: 964), p.142-148.
- Sydney Tramway Museum: Visit souvenir. Sutherland (N.S.W.): South Pacific Electric Railway Co-operative Society, 2004
- Taplin, M. "Trams return to Sydney". In: Light Rail Review 8. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 2008 [p.34-39].
- Dulwich Hill Line
- Light rail in Sydney
- Metro North West Line
- Railways in Sydney
- Sydney Metro
- Sydney Monorail
- Trams in Sydney
- Farewell Sydney monorail
- Map of Sydney’s Tram Network (in voomMAPS)
- Remember Sydney monorail
- Sydney Metro
- Sydney's Tram History
- Transport for NSW
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.