|Above: YouTubeCA Trams/Light Rail in Sydney, Australia 2017 - Length: 9:47 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA Sydney Metro - First Morning of Revenue Service - Length: 19:23 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA Sydney Light Rail OPENING DAY - Circular Quay To Randwick Tram Ride - CBD & South East Light Rail - Length: 42:58 mins.|
INSET: CENTRAL SYDNEY
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as templates for these maps correspond to the situation at the time the maps were downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, they may show bridges and highways that were built later.
LIGHT RAIL (TRAM) ROUTES
|L1||Dulwich Hill Line||Central Station - Exhibition - Pyrmont - Glebe - Rozelle Bay - Lilyfield - Leichhardt - Lewisham - Dulwich Hill|
|L2||Randwick Line||Circular Quay - Central Station - Moore Park - Randwick|
|L3||Kingsford Line||Circular Quay - Central Station - Moore Park - Kingsford|
METRO (RAPID TRANSIT) ROUTE
Operator: Metro Trains Sydney
|MNW||Metro North West Line||Chatswood - Macquarie University - Epping - Bella Vista - Tallawong|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Light Rail (Tram) lines: ca. 28 km.
- Metro line: 36 km.
- Horse tramways: 23 Dec. 1861 - 31 Dec. 1866. (Also, short-lived systems in 1879, 1894)
- Steam tramways: 30 Sept. 1879 - 1910 (on the private line Parramatta to Redbank Wharf (Duck River) until 1943).
- Cable tramways: 1894 - 14 Jan. 1905.
- Electric tramways (first generation): 9 Nov. 1890 - 20 Apr. 1892; 8 Dec. 1899 - 25 Feb. 1961.
- Electric tramways (second generation): 11 Aug. 1997 - today.
- Monorail: July 1988 - 30 June 2013.
- Metro: 26 May 2019 - today.
- All tramways: 1435 mm.
- MetrO: 1435 mm.
The Sydney Tramway Museum in Loftus, about 30 km south of the city centre, runs old trams along 3.5 km. of track.
- Keenan, D.R. Tramways of Sydney. Sans Souci (N.S.W.): Transit Press, 1979.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No.126: Sydney, Australia" Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2018 (81: 964), p.142-148.
- Sydney Tramway Museum: Visit souvenir. Sutherland (N.S.W.): South Pacific Electric Railway Co-operative Society, 2004
- Taplin, M. "Trams return to Sydney". In: Light Rail Review 8. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 2008 [p.34-39].
- Dulwich Hill Line
- Light rail in Sydney
- Metro North West Line
- Railways in Sydney
- Sydney Metro
- Sydney Monorail
- Trams in Sydney
- Farewell Sydney monorail
- Map of Sydney’s Tram Network (in voomMAPS)
- Remember Sydney monorail
- Sydney Metro
- Sydney's Tram History
- Transport for NSW
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.