I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Edmonton Transit System
URBAN STREETCAR ROUTES
Streetcar routes in Edmonton were identified by a colour scheme that appeared both in panels and lights used on the vehicles. In the table below, a letter code is used for the appropriate colour(s) (it also appears on the map). The full route name is also given.
|B||Blue||Whyte Av. (from 104 St.) - 109 St. - High Level Bridge - 109 St. - Jasper Av. - 97 St. - 95 St. - 118 Av. - 66 St. - North Edmonton (124 Av.)|
|BW||Blue & White||Whyte Av. (from 104 St.) - 109 St. - High Level Bridge - 109 St. - Jasper Av. - 97 St. - 95 St. - 118 Av. (at 80 St.)|
|...||Calder||Calder - 127 Av. - 124 St. - 107 Av. - 101 St. - Jasper Av. - 109 St. - 97 Av. - Rossdale (near the Low Level Bridge)|
Service discontinuation dates in the Edmonton system after Jan. 1944 (corresponding route designations in brackets):
- 1944 Aug. 10: Whyte Av. (between 99 and 104 St.) (RW, W)
- 1945 July 22: Highlands (112 Av. - Jasper Av [east of 97 St.]) (W)
- 1945 Oct.: Rossdale (97 Av.) (Rossdale stub, ex-RG)
- 1947 Aug. 9: McKernan's Lake (76 Av. - 104 St.) (RB)
- 1947 Oct. 5: Jasper Av. (west of 109 St.) - 124 St. (south of 107 Av.) (B, BW)
- 1948 May 2: 124 St. (between 107 Av. and 118 Av.) (RG)
- 1948 Aug. 8: 107 Av. (RG)
- 1948 Aug. 29: 114 Av. and 101 St. (RW)
- 1949 Aug. 21: Whyte Av. - 109 St. (south of 84 Av.) (B, BW)
- 1949 Aug. 28: Calder stub line (Calder)
- 1951 Sept. 2: Rest of the system (109 St., High Level Bridge, Jasper Av., 97 St., 95 St., 118 Av., 66 St.) (B, BW)
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: 32 km.
- Streetcars (Old system): 9 Nov. 1908 - 2 Sept. 1951.
- C-Train (LRT): 23 Apr. 1978 - today.
- 1435 mm.
The Edmonton Radial Railway Society operates heritage streetcars (from Edmonton and elsewhere) over a dedicated restored right-of-way in downtown Edmonton, using tracks on the High Level Bridge, as well as in historic Fort Edmonton Park.
- Hatcher, C.K. & Schwarzkopf, T. Edmonton's electric transit: The story of Edmonton's streetcars and trolley buses. Toronto: Railfare Enterprises, 1983.
- Simons, V. "Driving North American 'Urban Style' LRT", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2015 (78: 927), p.101-104.
- Taplin, M.R. Tramways of North America including rapid transit. Hassocks (West Sussex), England: Light Rail Transit Association, 2nd ed., .
- Edmonton Light Rail Transit
- Edmonton Radial Railway
- Edmonton Radial Railway Society
- Edmonton Transit System
- Canadian Street Railways
- City of Edmonton - Edmonton Transit Service (ETS)
- Edmonton (on UrbanRail.Net)
- Edmonton Radial Railway Society
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.