INSET: DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER
Operator: British Columbia Electric Railway Company (BCER)
URBAN STREETCAR ROUTES (VANCOUVER)
|1||Fairview||Granville - Broadway - Main - Hastings - Granville [Circular route; both directions]|
|2||Main / Davie||Denman - Robson (back: Davie) - Granville - Hastings - Main - 33rd Ave. & Main|
|3||Main Davie||Denman - Robson (back: Davie) - Granville - Hastings - Main - 50th Ave. & Main|
|4||Grandview - Fourth||Cedar Cottage - Commercial - Venables - Clark - Hastings - Richards Robson - Granville - 4th Ave. - 4th Ave. & Alma|
|5||Robson - Broadway East||Denman - Davie (back: Robson) - Granville - Hastings - Main - Broadway - Broadway & Commercial|
|6||East Blvd. - 49th Fraser||Hastings & Richards - Richards - Robson - Granville - 41st Ave. - Kerrisdale (East Boulevard) [In rush hour: 49th & Fraser - Fraser - Kingsway - Main - Cordova - Granville - 41st Ave. - Kerrisdale (East Boulevard)]|
|7||Fraser - Kerrisdale||Marine Drive & Fraser - Fraser - Kingsway - Main - Cordova - Granville - 41st Ave. - 41st & Dunbar|
|9||Post Office / 54th & Victoria||[Joyce Rd. & Kingsway] / [54th & Victoria - Victoria Rd.] - Kingsway - Main - Powell - Cordova - Post Office [back to 54th & Victoria only]|
|10||Stanley Park / 54th & Victoria||54th & Victoria - Victoria Rd. - Kingsway - Main - Powell - Cordova - Granville - Pender - Georgia - Stanley Park|
|11||Stanley Park / Joyce||Joyce Rd. & Kingsway - Kingsway - Main - Powell - Cordova - Granville - Pender - Georgia - Stanley Park|
|12||Kitsilano||Hastings & Richards - Hastings - Granville - False Creek Bridge - Kitsilano|
|13||Hastings & Renfrew / Alma||[Point Gray (Drummond Dr. & University Av.) - 10th Ave.] / [41st & Dunbar - Dunbar] - Broadway - Granville - Pacific - Richards - Hastings - Hastings & Renfrew [On return, to Alma & Broadway only]|
|14||Hastings East / Dunbar||[Point Gray (Drummond Dr. & University Av.) - 10th Ave.] / [41st & Dunbar - Dunbar] - Broadway - Granville - Pacific - Richards - Hastings - Hastings & Boundary][On return, to Dunbar - 41st & Dunbar only]|
|15||Point Grey||Boundary & Hastings - Hastings - Richards - Pacific - Granville - Broadway - Alma - 10th Ave. - Sasamat & 10th Av. [this direction only]|
|16||Tenth||Boundary & Hastings - Hastings - Richards - Pacific - Granville - Broadway - Alma - 10th Ave. - Sasamat - 4th Ave. - Drummond Dr. & University Av. [this direction only]|
|17||Oak - Marpole||Cambie & Hastings - Cambie - Broadway - Oak - Marpole|
|19||Sixteenth||Broadway & Oak - Oak - 16th Ave. - 16th & Main|
|20||Hastings Park / Post Office||Post Office - Cordova (back: Hastings) - Cordova - Powell - Hastings Park|
|H||Hastings Extension||Hastings & Boundary - Hastings - Hastings & Ellesmere (in Burnaby)|
|M||Main Street South||33rd Ave. & Main - Main - Main & River Road|
|N||Nanaimo||Nanaimo & Hastings - Nanaimo - Broadway - Broadway & Commercial|
NB: The last three routes had only route name identifiers. The route names H, M and N are used for convenience only.
URBAN STREETCAR ROUTES (NORTH VANCOUVER)
|1||North Vancouver Ferry Terminal - Lonsdale - Windsor Rd. & Lonsdale|
|2||North Vancouver Ferry Terminal - 1st Str. E.- Grand Blvd. - Lynn Valley Rd. - Dempsey Rd.|
|3||North Vancouver Ferry Terminal - 1st Str. W - Mahon - Marine Dr. - Fell Ave. - 20th. Str. - 22nd Str. - Capilano River|
|A1||Central Park Line||Hastings & Carrall - Central Park (Burnaby) - New Westminster|
|A2||Burnaby Lake Line||Hastings & Carrall - Burnaby Lake - New Westminster|
|A3||Marpole Line||Vancouver (Pacific & Richards) - Granville - Arbutus - Marpole|
|A4||Lulu Island Line (to Steveston)||Vancouver (Pacific & Richards) - Granville - Arbutus - Marpole - Richmond - Steveston|
|A5||Lulu Island Line (to New Westminster)||Vancouver (Pacific & Richards) - Granville - Arbutus - Marpole - New Westminster|
NB: The route numbers given above are those used in a later source. It is possible that in 1930 the interurban routes had only names, not numbers.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Vancouver streetcar lines: ? km.
- North Vancouver streetcar lines: 16.4 km.
- Interurban lines: ? km.
- Vancouver streetcars: (electric) 28 June 1890 - 21 Apr. 1955.
- North Vancouver streetcars: (electric) 1 Sept. 1906 - 23 Apr. 1947.
- Interurban trams: (electric) 3 June 1891 - 28 Feb. 1958.
- SkyTrain (automated LRT): 3 Jan. 1986 - today.
- Canada Line (Metro): 17 Aug. 2009 - today.
- Vancouver and North Vancouver streetcars: 1453 mm.
- SkyTrain / Canada Line: 1435 mm.
The Transit Museum Society runs vintage interurban streetcars between Granville Island and Science World on weekends and holidays during the summer months. A demonstration service by modern trams from Europe was run on the same line during the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver.
- Cockle, D. "Tram-train community rail for Fraser Valley", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2010 (73: 876), p.465-466.
- Conn, H. & Ewert, H. Vancouver's glory years: Public transit 1890-1915. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 2003.
- "End of city trams in Vancouver" (news item), The Modern Tramway, July 1955 (18:211), p.142.
- Ewert, H. The perfect little street car system. North Vancouver: North Vancouver Museum and Archives Commission, 2000.
- Ewert, H. The story of the B.C. Electric Railway Company. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 1986.
- Guide to Vancouver. Vancouver: British Columbia Electric Railway Company (BCER), 1930.
- Hyde, R. The Sockeye Special: The story of the Steveston tram and early Lulu Island. Richmond (B.C.): Author, 2011.
- Kelly, B. & Francis, D. Transit in British Columbia: The first hundred years. Madeira Park (B.C.): Harbour Publishing, 1990.
- Simons, V. "Vancouver prepares for the Winter Olympics", Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2010 (73: 865), p.11-13.
- Till, H. Diary of significant events in the history of B.C. Electric's transportation system, 1889-1946. Vancouver: B.C. Electric Co., 1947 [?].
- Transit System Map of Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver]: Challengers Cartographers, 1949, 1952 and 1954.
- British Columbia Electric Railway (BCER)
- Canada Line
- Evergreen Line
- SkyTrain (Vancouver)
- TransLink (Vancouver)
- Transportation in Vancouver
- Vancouver Downtown Historic Railway
- Canadian Street Railways
- The History of Metropolitan Vancouver
- History of the B.C. Electric Railway Company
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.