INSET: CENTRE OF GENEVA
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as templates for these maps correspond to the situation at the time the maps were downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, they may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Transports publics genevois (TPG)
|12||Palettes - Bachet-de-Pesay - Carouge - Augustins - Plainpalais - Place-Neuve - Rive - Chêne-Bourg - Moillesullaz|
|13||Palettes - Bachet-de-Pesay - Carouge - Augustins - Plainpalais - Stand - Gare Cornavin - Place des Nations|
|14||Meyrin Gravière - Avanchet - Gare Cornavin - Stand - Plainpalais - Augustins - Carouge - Bachet-de-Pesay [Weekdays during the day]|
|14b||Avanchet - Gare Cornavin - Stand - Plainpalais - Augustins [Weekdays during the day and on Weekends]|
|15||Palettes - Lancy-Pont Rouge - Acacias - Plainpalais - Stand - Gare Cornavin - Place des Nations|
|16||Meyrin Gravière - Avanchet - Gare Cornavin - Stand - Rive - Chêne-Bourg - Moillesullaz|
|17||Lancy-Pont Rouge - Acacias - Plainpalais - Place-Neuve - Rive - Chêne-Bourg - Moillesullaz [Weekdays/Saturday during the day]|
|17b||Lancy-Pont Rouge - Acacias - Plainpalais - Rive - Gare de Chêne-Bourg [Weekdays and Saturdays in the evening and on Sundays]|
|18||Avanchet - Gare Cornavin - Coutance [Weekdays/Saturday during the day]|
Operator: Chemins de fer fédéraux suisses (CFF)
|Gare Cornavin - Satigny - Russin - La Plaine|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Trams - 26 km.
- LRT - 15 km.
- Horse-drawn tramways: 1862 - 1903.
- Steam tramways: 1877 - 1902.
- Electric tramways: 1894 - today.
- LRT: 1994 - 15 Dec. 2019.
- Regional Express (Léman Express): 15 Dec. 2019 - today.
- 1862 - 1902: 1435 mm.
- 1889 - today: 1000 mm.
LRT / Regional Express
- (mainline rail track): 1435 mm.
- Boegl, W., Dietschy, M., Kallmann, R., Lacreuse, J.-M., Longet, R. & Rahm, E. Le tram à Genève: histoire imagée de la Compagnie Genevoise des Tramways Electriques et de ses précurseurs. Genève: Ed. de Tricorne, 1976.
- Buckley, R.J. Tramways and Light Railways of Switzerland and Austria. Milton Keynes (England): Light Rail Transit Association, 1st ed., 1984.
- Buckley, R.J. Tramways and Light Railways of Switzerland and Austria. Milton Keynes (England): Light Rail Transit Association, 2nd ed., 2000.
- Choisy, M.E.G. "Modernization in Geneva" (translation), The Modern Tramway, Nov. 1950 (13:155), p.237-241.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz / Railatlas Suisse. Köln (Germany): Schweers + Wall, 2004.
- Kellett, N. "Genève: Where to go, and what you'll see", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2004 (67:801), p.336-338.
- Primatesta, A. Les tramways genevois - L'histoire continue demain. Genève: Mythraz, 2005.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No.102 - Geneva, Switzerland", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2016 (79 :939), p.104-108.
- Russell, M. "Classic Trams: Genève - 150-year milestone reached", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2012 (75 :897), p.360-361.
- "Systems Fact file No.237: Geneva, Switzerland", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2009 (72:860), p.308-310.
- Thompson, A. "Geneva looks across the border", Tramways and Urban Transit, June 2022 (85:1014), p.210-214.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Geneva: The city that puts quality first", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1997 (60:715), p.250-252.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Geneva: Ten years of solid expansion", Tramways and Urban Transit, Aug. 2002 (65:776), p.297-299.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Geneva: International tramway?", Tramways and Urban Transit, Dec. 2007 (70:840), p.458-461.
- Wiseman, R.J.S. & Wyse, W.J. "The Swiss vicinal [Part 1]", Modern Tramway & Light Rail Review, Feb. 1969 (32:374), p.53-59.
- Léman Express
- SNOTPG (Site Non Officiel des Transports Publics Genevois)
- Transports publics genevois (TPG)
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.