|Above: YouTubeCA video - Old Shanghai 1930s (with trams) - Length: 8:08 mins.|
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Shanghai Electric Construction Co.
NB: Street names below are those used in 1936.
|1||Szechuen Rd. - The Bund & Av. Edward VII|
|2||B. Well Rd. - The Bund & Av. Edward VII|
|3||Carter Rd. - Hupeh Rd. & Av. Edward VII|
|4||The Bund - Broadway E. - Wayside|
|5||Railway Stn. - Hupeh Rd. & Av. Edward VII|
|6||Railway Stn. - The Bund - Railway Station [Circular route]|
|7||Railway Stn. - The Bund - E. Seward Rd. - Wayside|
|8||The Bund - Broadway E. - The Point|
|9||Carter Rd. - The Bund & Av. Edward VII|
|11||Szechuen Rd. - The Bund|
NB: Only the tram lines of the British system are shown. There were also French and Chinese systems, not shown on the map.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Trams: ? km.
NB: Lines of the Shanghai underground (metro) are not shown on this site.
- Electric trams (First generation): 21 Jan. 1908 - 1975
- Electric trams (Second generation): Zhangjiang Tram - 1 Jan. 2010 - today; Songjiang Tram - 26 Dec. 2018 - today.
- Underground: 28 May 1993 - today
- Electric trams (First generation): ?
- Electric trams (Second generation, Zhangjiang Tram): no gauge, runs on a concrete base.
- Electric trams (Second generation, Songjiang Tram): 1435 mm.
- Underground (Shanghai metro): 1435 mm.
- The Shanghai Electric Construction Co. Ltd. Shanghai tramways [Map], 1939.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2022
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.