Because of the complexity of the London-area rail transportation system, there are altogether six maps showing the routes:
- A map showing Central London
- A map showing North London
- A map showing East London
- A map showing Southeast London
- A map showing South London
- A map showing West London
It is possible to by-pass the maps:
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAPS
|AB||Albert Bridge||LBS||London Bridge Station|
|AT||Acton Town||LS||Leicester Square|
|BB||Blackfriars Bridge||LSS||Liverpool Street Station|
|BSB||Battersea Bridge||OC||Oxford Circus|
|CB||Chelsea Bridge||PC||Piccadilly Circus|
|CSS||Cannon Street Station||SB||Shepherd's Bush|
|E&C||Elephant & Castle||SWB||Southwark Bridge|
|ER||Edgware Road||TB||Tower Bridge|
|FS||Fenchurch Street Station||TCR||Tottenham Court Road|
|FSS||Farringdon Street Station||TG||Turnham Green|
|GR||Gloucester Road||VB||Vauxhall Bridge|
|HB||Highbury Station||VE||Victoria Embankment|
|HV||Holborn Viaduct Station||WB||Westminster Bridge|
|LaB||Lambeth Bridge||WlB||Waterloo Bridge|
Operator: Transport for London (TfL)
TRAM ROUTES (TRAMLINK)
|1||West Croydon - Woodside - Beckenham Junction|
|2||West Croydon - Woodside - Elmers End|
|3||Wimbledon - Mitcham - Therapia Lane - Croydon - Addington - New Addington|
|4||Wimbledon - Mitcham - Therapia Lane - Croydon - Woodside - Elmers End|
LIGHT RAIL ROUTES (DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY [DLR])
|Bank - Shadwell - Poplar - Canning Town - London City Airport - King George V - Woolwich Arsenal|
|Bank - Shadwell - Canary Wharf - Greenwich - Lewisham|
|Tower Gateway - Shadwell - Poplar - Canning Town - Royal Albert Dock - Beckton|
|Stratford - Bow Church - Poplar - Canary Wharf - Greenwich - Lewisham|
|Stratford International - Stratford - West Ham - Canning Town - Royal Albert Dock - Beckton|
|Stratford International - Stratford - West Ham - Canning Town - London City Airport - King George V - Woolwich Arsenal [Weekday peak hours only]|
Note: The one- or two-letter route designations are strictly local to this site, and have never been used by the operating companies. Branches of individual lines are listed separately.
|B||Bakerloo Line||Elephant & Castle – Waterloo – Charing Cross – Piccadilly Circus – Oxford Circus – Marylebone – Paddington – Maida Vale – Harlesden – Wembley – Harrow & Wealdstone – Watford Junction|
|C||Circle Line||Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Victoria Station – Embankment – Blackfriars – Aldgate – Liverpool Street Station – Moorgate - Farringdon Street Station – King's Cross St Pancras – Euston - Baker Street - Edgware - Paddington - Notting Hill - High Street Kensington - Gloucester Road [Circular route, both directions]|
|Ce||Central Line||Epping - Loughton - Woodford - Leytonstone - Leyton - Startford - Mile End - Liverpool Street Station – Bank – Holborn – Tottenham Court Road – Oxford Circus – Marble Arch – Notting Hill – Shepherd's Bush – North Acton - Ealing Broadway|
|Ce||Central Line||[Branch]: Woodford - Chigwell - Hainault - Barkingside - Wanstead - Leytonstone|
|Ce||Central Line||[Branch]: North Acton - Greenford - West Ruislip|
|D||District Line||[Ealing Broadway – Acton Town] / [Richmond] – Turnham Green – Hammersmith – Earl's Court – Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Victoria Station – Embankment – Blackfriars – Aldgate – Whitechapel – Mile End – Barking – Dagenham – Upminster|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Edgware Road – Paddington Station – Notting Hill – High Street Kensington – Earl's Court – Putney – Wimbledon|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Earl's Court - Kensington (Olympia)|
|HC||Hammersmith & City Line||Hammersmith – Shepherd's Bush – Paddington – Edgware – Baker Street – Euston – King's Cross St Pancras – Farringdon Street Station – Moorgate – Liverpool Street Station – Aldgate - Whitechapel – Mile End – Barking|
|J||Jubilee Line||Stratford - West Ham - North Greenwich - Canary Wharf - Canada Water - London Bridge - Waterloo - Westminster - Baker Street – South Hampstead – Wembley Park – Stanmore|
|M||Metropolitan Line||Aldgate - Liverpool Street Station – Moorgate – Farringdon Street Station – King's Cross St Pancras – Euston – Baker Street – South Hampstead – Wembley Park – Harrow – Ruislip – Uxbridge|
|M||Metropolitan Line||[Branch:] Harrow – Moor Park – Watford / Chesham / Amersham|
|N||Northern Line||Edgware – Hendon – Golders Green – Hamstead – Camden Town – Euston – Tottenham Court Road – Leicester Square – Charing Cross – Waterloo – Kennington – Stockwell – Clapham – Tooting – Morden|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] High Barnet - Finchley - Highgate - Archway – Kentish Town – Camden Town|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Mill Hill East - Finchley|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Camden Town – Euston – King's Cross St.Pancras – Angel – Old Street – Moorgate – Bank – Elephant & Castle – Kennington|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Kennington - Battersea Power Station|
|P||Piccadilly Line||Uxbridge – Ruislip – Sudbury – North Ealing – Acton Town – Turnham Green – Hammersmith – Earl's Court – Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Knightsbridge – Piccadilly Circus – Leicester Square – Holborn – King's Cross St.Pancras – Finsbury Park – Manor House – Wood Green – Southgate – Cockfosters|
|P||Piccadilly Line||[Branch:] Heathrow Airport - Hounslow West – Acton Town|
|V||Victoria Line||Walthamstow - Tottenham - Seven Sisters - Finsbury Park - Islangton - King's Cross St.Pancras - Euston - Oxford Circus - Victoria - Vauxhall - Stockwell - Brixton|
|W&C||Waterloo & City Line||Waterloo – Bank|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramway (Tramlink): 28 km.
- Light rail (DLR): 38 km.
- Underground: 405 km.
- Horse–powered:1860 – (First World War.)
- First-generation electric tramway (conduit and overhead electric supply): 1901 - 6 July 1952.
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): May 2000 – today.
- Dockland Light Railway (electric, 3rd rail): 31 Aug. 1987 - today.
- Underground: 10 Jan. 1863 - today (steam: 1863 - 1961; electric: 18 Dec. 1890 - today)
- Tramway (1st generation): 1435 mm.
- Dockland Light Railway: 1435 mm.
- Underground: 1435 mm. (also 2140 mm., 1863-1869)
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- British Railways pre-grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. London: Ian Allan, 5th ed., 1980.
- "Celebrating 20 years of Tramlink" Tramways & Urban Transit. June 2020 (83: 990), p.215-229.
- "London Tramlink", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2012 (75: 893), Supplement, 16p.
- "London Underground: 150 years and moving forward", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2014 (77: 914), p.61-79.
- Oakley, E.R. & Holland, C.E. London Transport Tramways, 1933-1952. Bexleyheath (Kent): London Tramways History Group, 1998.
- Owen, N. "Croydon: A successful first half-year", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2000 (63: 756), p.448-450.
- Pulling, N. "System Factfile No. 34: London Docklands, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2010 (73: 871), p.259-262.
- Pulling, N. "System Factfile No. 141: London trams, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2019 (82: 979), p.263-267.
- Rose, D. The London Underground: A diagrammatic history (sheet map). London: Douglas Rose, 2nd ed., 1983.
- Streeter; T. "DLR: BIM Innovations", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2016 (79: 939), p.100-102.
- Trolleybus & tram route map (sheet map). London: London Transport, 1950.
- Wyse, J. & Bayman, B. "Light rail comes to London: The DLR opens". In: Light Rail '87. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 1987 [p.13-24].
- Docklands Light Railway
- History of public transport authorities in London
- History of the London Underground
- Kingsway tramway subway
- London Passenger Transport Board
- London Underground
- Railway electrification in Great Britain
- Trams in London
- Transport for London
- Tube map
- The campaign to save the London Trams, 1946-1952
- London (on UrbanRail.Net)
- Trams in London
- Transport for London
Also, thanks to Geoffrey Tribe (from Leighton Buzzard, England) for information obtained through personal communication.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2022
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.