|Above: YouTubeCA video - Dublin Ireland LUAS Tram/Light Rail - Length: 20:08 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA video - 'Luas' Tramway action in Dublin, Ireland - Length: 10:45 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA video - A Tram Called LUAS - Length: 5:22 min.|
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAP
|MS||Marlborough Street||OCS||O'Connell Street|
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
TRAM (LUAS) ROUTES
|G||Green Line||Broombridge - Phibsborough - Marlborough Street [back: O'Connell Street] - St. Stephen’s Green - Ranelagh - Milltown - Dundrum - Leopardstown - Ballyogan - Bride’s Glen|
|R||Red Line||The Point / Connolly (Main station) - Smithfield - Heuston - Drimnagh - Belgard - Saggart / Tallaght|
The route designations G and R for the Green and Red Lines, respectively, are for the reader's convenience only and are not used by the operator.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Light rail (Luas): 42.1 km.
- Horse tramways: 1 Feb. 1872 - 13 Jan. 1901
- Steam tramways: June 1881 - 1905.
- First-generation electric tramway: 16 May 1896 - 9 July 1949.
- Second-generation light rail (Luas): 30 June 2004 - today.
- Hill of Howth Tramway: 7 June 1901 - 31 May 1959.
- Horse tramways: 1220 mm / 1600 mm.
- Steam tramways: 915 mm / 1067 mm. / 1580 mm.
- Dublin tramways (1st generation): 1580 mm.
- Dublin light rail (Luas): 1435 mm.
- Lucan tramways: 1067 mm. (until 29 Jan. 1925); reopened as part of the general Dublin system: 1580 mm. (14 May 1928 - 12 Apr. 1940)
- Hill of Howth Tramway: 1580 mm.
- Corcoran, M. Through the streets broad and narrow: A history of Dublin trams. Hersham (England): Ian Allan, 2000, rev.ed. 2008.
- Fayle, H. "The electric tramways of Ireland (4): The Dublin tramways" The Modern Tramway, Nov. 1940 (3: 35), p.129-130, 132.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No. 170: Dublin, Ireland" Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2021 (84: 1008), p.513-518.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.