|Above: YouTubeCA video - Baltimore Transit Company Trolleys - Length: 40 secs.|
INSET: CENTRAL BALTIMORE
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAPS
|Bd||Bloomingdale Av.||PS||Pearl St.|
|BL||Belvedere Loop||RS||Redwood St.|
|CS||Commerce St.||SS||South St.|
|HS||Holliday St.||WJ||Walbrook Junction|
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF STREETCAR TRACKS BETWEEN 5 FEB. 1950 AND 1 SEPT. 1961 (affected route numbers in parentheses).
- 1950 March 5: Canton - Highlandtown (34)
- 1950 March 24: North Av. - Barney St. (exc. between Edmondson Av. & Saratoga St. on Fremont Av.) (30)
- 1952 June 7: Downtown - Canton (18)
- 1952 Oct. 13: Madison Av. - Eutaw St. (31)
- 1952 Oct. 19: Sparrows Point - Fort Howard (99)
- 1954 Jan. 9: North Ave. (exc. between Reisterstown Rd. & Linden Av.), Washington St. - Wolfe St. (13)
- 1954 Feb. 27: Windsor Hills - Lorraine Cemetery (35)
- 1954 Sept. 18: Bloomingdale Av. - Windsor Hills; Edmondson Av. (between Fremont Av. & Gilmor St.) (4)
- 1955 June 19: Charles St. - Ellicott City (9)
- 1955 Sept. 3: Lee St. - Park Av. - Linden Av. - North Av. - Reisterstown Rd. - Liberty Heights Av. - Forest Park - Woodlawn (32)
- 1956 June 16: Central Av. - Harford Rd. - Parkville (19)
- 1958 Aug. 30: Highlandtown - Sparrows Point (26)
Operator: Baltimore Transit Company
|4||Charles St. - Lexington St. [back: Saratoga St.] - Saratoga St. - Fremont Av. - Edmondson Av. - Bloomingdale Av. - Walbrook Junction - Windsor Hills|
|8||Towson - York Rd. - Greenmount Av. - Hillen St. - Holliday St. - Fayette St. - Gilmor St. - Lombard St. [back: Pratt St.] - Frederick Rd. - Catonsville (Edmondson Av.)|
|9||Charles St. - Lexington St. [back: Saratoga St.] - Saratoga St. - Gilmor St. - Edmondson Av. - Catonsville - Ellicott City|
|13||Walbrook Junction - North Ave. - [Baltimore Cemetery (Gay St.] / [Washington St. - Wolfe St. - Aliceanna St.]|
|14||Charles St. - Lexington St. [back: Saratoga St.] - Saratoga St. - Gilmor St. - Edmondson Av. - Catonsville (Rolling Rd.)|
|15||Overlea - Belair Rd. - Gay St. - Fayette St. - Pearl St.|
|18||North Av. - Pennsylvania Av. - Baltimore St. - Paca St. - Lombard St. - Gough St. - Broadway - Eastern Av. - Canton (Conkling St.)|
|19||Parkville - Harford Rd. - Central Av. - Gay St. - Fayette St. - [Commerce St. - Lombard St.] [back: Redwood St. - Sharp St.] - Hanover St.|
|26||Highlandtown - Eastern Av. - Oldham St. - Dundalk Av. - Trestle Bridge - Sparrows Point|
|30||Barney St. - Charles St. - Hamburg St. - Fremont Av. - McMechen St. - North Av. - Lafayette Av.|
|31||South St. - Redwood St. - Eutaw St. - Madison Av. - North Av. - Garrison Av. - Belvedere Loop|
|32||Lee St. - Camden Stn. - Park Av. - Linden Av. - North Av. - Reisterstown Rd. - Liberty Heights Av. - [Forest Park - Woodlawn] / [Garrison Av. - Belvedere Loop]|
|34||North Ave. - Washington St. - Wolfe St. - Eastern Av. - Canton - Eastern Av. - Oldham St.|
|35||Walbrook Junction - Windsor Hills - Lorraine Cemetery|
|47||Green Spring Av. - Mt. Washington|
|48||Belvedere Loop - Mt. Washington|
|99||Sparrows Point - Fort Howard|
Operator: Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad Company
|Camden Station (Baltimore) - Westport - Linthicum - Glen Burnie - Severna Park - Arnold - Annapolis|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Interurban rail: ? km.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: 26 July 1859 - ?
- Cable cars: 1891 - 1899.
- Electric streetcars (1st generation): 10 Aug. 1885 - 2 Nov. 1963.
- Interurban rail: (steam) 9 May 1889 - 1908; (electric) 1908 - 5 Feb. 1950.
- Light rail (2nd generation): 2 Apr. 1992 - today.
- Subway: 21 Nov. 1983 - today.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: ? mm.
- Streetcars (1st generation): 1638 mm.
- Interurban rail: 1435 mm.
- Light rail (2nd generation): 1435 mm.
- Subway: 1435 mm.
- Demery, L.W. "US Transit funding - Part 5: LRT plans proliferate: Maryland", Modern Tramway and Light Rail Transit, Apr. 1990 (53: 628), p.128-130.
- Farrell, M. Who made all our streetcars go? Baltimore: NRHS, 1973.
- Harwood, H.H. Baltimore streetcars: The postwar years. Baltimore / London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1984, 2003.
- Hoschek, J. (ed.) "Baltimore, Part I: 1915 to 1945", Motor Coach Age, July-Aug. 1988 (XL: 7-8), p.4-43.
- Hoschek, J. (ed.) "Baltimore, Part II: Baltimore Transit under NCL", Motor Coach Age, Nov.-Dec. 1988 (XL: 11-12), p.4-46.
- Morse, K. Baltimore streetcar routes (revised) 1960.
- Simons, V. "Maryland LRT - All change in Maryland", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2016 (79: 948), p.458-462.
- Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad
- Baltimore Light Rail Link
- Baltimore Metro SubwayLink
- Baltimore Streetcar Museum
- History of MTA Maryland
- Baltimore (on UrbanRailNet)
- Baltimore, Maryland: Transit Links (by Jon Bell)
- Baltimore Metro Subway (by Scott M. Kozel)
- Baltimore once had an elevated streetcar along Guilford Avenue
- Baltimore Streetcar Museum
- History of B&A Railroad
- Light RailLink
- LRT in Baltimore
- Metro SubwayLink
- Revised map showing routes of street cars, motor coaches and trackless trolleys of the Baltimore Transit Company
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me copious amounts of information and documents concerning the history of the Baltimore streetcar and interurban systems.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.