ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAP
|GH||Grove Hall||PS||Park Station|
|HA||Humboldt Av.||TSS||Tremont Street subway|
|HB||Harvard Bridge||UC||Uphams Corner|
|Hm||Haymarket||WIP||Wood Island Park|
|LS||Lexington St.||WS||Warren St.|
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF STREETCAR TRACKS BETWEEN 6 DEC. 1946 AND 1 JUNE 1956 (affected route designations in parantheses)
- 1946 Dec. 6: Broadway (between Clarendon Hill & Main Street) (89)
- 1947 Apr. 18: Broadway - Main St. - Salem St. (101)
- 1948 Apr. 2: Sullivan Sq. - Main St. - Charlestown Bridge (92)
- 1948 June 18: Fields Corner - Neponset (20)
- 1948 Dec. 24: Dudley - Dudley St. (to Blue Hill Av.) (15, 45); Dudely St. (between Blue Hill Av. & Uphams Corner) (15); Blue Hill Av. (Dudely St. - Grove Hall) (45)
- 1949 Jan. 7: Dudley - Warren St. - Grove Hall (19, 22, 23); Grove Hall - Geneva Av. (to Bowdoin St.) (19); Talbot Av. (between Blue Hill Av. & Washington St.) (22); Washington St. (between Grove Hall & Talbot Av.) (23); Talbot Av. (between Washington St. & Ashmont) (22, 23)
- 1949 Jan. 28: Humboldt Av. (44)
- 1949 Feb. 11: Hancock St. - Bowdoin St. (17)
- 1949 Apr. 23: Maverick - Jeffries Pt. (122)
- 1949 June 7: Dudley - Columbus Av. (41); Centre St. (41)
- 1949 July 1: Sullivan Sq. - Bunker Hill St. - North Station (93)
- 1949 Sept. 16: Dudley - Egleston (42)
- 1949 Sept. 18: Harvard Stn. - Massachusetts Av. - Harvard Bridge - Massachusetts Stn. (76)
- 1949 Dec. 9: Andrew - Boston St. - Columbia Rd. - Franklin Park (16)
- 1950 June 16: Central Sq. - Western Av. - Arsenal St. - Watertown Sq. (70)
- 1951 Sept. 28: Roslindale - Charles River Loop (36)
- 1952 Jan. 4: All NE Boston routes from Maverick (114-118, 121)
- 1952 Nov. 21: Arborway Station - Washington St. - Dedham Line (34)
- 1953 March 1: Broadway (9)
- 1953 Apr. 24: Cummins Highway (30, 30A); Hyde Park Av. (30A, 32)
- 1953 June 19: Summer St. (7)
- 1953 Sept. 12: Massachusetts Av. (47)
- 1953 Dec. 4: Dudley - Southampton St. - City Point (10)
- 1955 Sept. 9: Blue Hill Av. (29)
- 1955 Nov. 18: North Cambridge - Arlington Heights (79)
- 1955 Dec. 16: Egleston - Washington St. - Arborway Station (40);
Operator: Boston Elevated Railway
|7||South Station - Summer St. - City Point|
|9||North Station - Tremont Street subway - Broadway - City Point|
|10||Dudley - Southampton St. - City Point|
|15||Dudley - Dudley St. - Uphams Corner|
|16||Andrew - Boston St. - Columbia Rd. - Franklin Park|
|17||Andrew - Boston St. - Bowdoin St. - Fields Corner|
|19||Dudley - Warren St. - Fields Corner|
|20||Fields Corner - Neponset|
|22||Dudley - Warren St. - Blue Hill Av. - Talbot Av. - Ashmont|
|23||Dudley - Warren St. - Dorchester - Ashmont|
|28||Ashmont - Mattapan|
|29||Egleston - Seaver St. - Blue Hill Av. - Mattapan|
|30||Mattapan - Cummins Hwy. - Roslindale|
|30A||Mattapan - Cummins Hwy. - Hyde Park Ave. - Arborway Station|
|32||Arborway Station - Hyde Park Ave. - Hyde Park, Cleary Square|
|34||Arborway Station - Washington St. - Dedham Line|
|36||Arborway Station - Washington St. - Roslindale - Charles River Loop|
|39||Park St. Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Huntington Av. - South St. - Arborway Station|
|40||Egleston - Washington St. - Arborway Station|
|41||Dudley - Jamaica Plain|
|42||Dudley - Washington St. - Egleston|
|43||North Station - Tremont Street subway - Columbus Av. – Egleston|
|44||Dudley - Humboldt Av. - Seaver St.|
|45||Dudley - Dudley St. - Blue Hill Av. - Grove Hall|
|47||Dudley - Massachusetts Av. - Massachusetts Stn.|
|57||North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Huntington Av. - Heath St.|
|61||Lechmere – North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Beacon St. - Cleveland Circle|
|62||Lechmere – North Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Commonwealth Av. - Boston College|
|69||Park St. Station - Tremont Street subway - Boylston St. subway - Commonwealth Av. - Washington St. - Watertown Sq.|
|70||Central Sq. - Western Av. - Arsenal St. - Watertown Sq.|
|71||Harvard Stn. - Mt. Auburn St. - Watertown Sq.|
|73||Harvard Stn. - Mt. Auburn St. - Belmont St. - Waverley|
|76||Harvard Stn. - Massachusetts Av. - Harvard Bridge - Massachusetts Stn.|
|79||Harvard Stn. - Massachusetts Av. - Arlington - Arlington Heights|
|82||Harvard Stn. - Massachusetts Av. - North Cambridge|
|89||Sullivan Sq. - Broadway - Clarendon Hill|
|92||Haymarket - North Stn. - Main St. - Sullivan Sq|
|93||Haymarket - North Stn. - Bunker Hill St. - Sullivan Sq|
|100||Sullivan Sq. - Wellington Bridge - Fellsway - Elm Street|
|101||Sullivan Sq. - Broadway - Main St. - Medford - Salem St.|
|114||Maverick - Meridian St. Bridge|
|115||Maverick - Bennington St. - Gladstone St.|
|116||Maverick - Bennington St. - Broadway - Revere St. - Revere Beach|
|117||Maverick - Bennington St. - Broadway - Beach St. - Revere Beach|
|118||Maverick - Bennington St. - Revere Beach|
|121||Maverick - Lexington St. - Wood Island Park|
|122||Maverick - Jeffries Pt.|
|1||Harvard Station - Central Sq. - Kendall - Park St. Station - South Stn. - Columbia - Ashmont|
|2||Everett - Sullivan Sq. - North Station - Dover - Egleston - Forest Hills|
|3||Bowdoin - Atlantic Av. - Maverick|
Operator: Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway
|A||Fields Corner - Neponset - Hancock St. - Quincy Square|
|B||Fields Corner - Neponset - Hancock St. - Quincy Square - Washington St. - Shipyard|
Note that the above numeric and alphabetic route designations are of an indicative nature only, and were not used by the operating companies at the time.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Subway lines: ? km.
- Interurban lines: ? km.
- Streetcars: (horse-powered) 26 March 1856 - ca. 1900; (electric) 1 Jan. 1889 - today.
- Subway: 1 Sept. 1897 - today.
- Interurbans: 1892 - 1 May 1948
- Streetcars / Interurbans: 1435 mm.
- Subway: 1435 mm.
The Seashore Trolley Museum, in Kennebunkport (Maine), just NE of Boston, owns and operates historic Boston-area streetcars and subway vehicles, as well as many other vintage public transportation vehicles from around the world.
- "Boston Green line reaches Somerville" Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2022 (85: 1013), p.164.
- Buckley, R. "No tea party in Boston" Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2012 (75: 900), p.459-461.
- Clarke, B.H. Streetcar Lines of the Hub, the 1940s Heyday of Electric Transit in Boston. Boston: Boston Street Railway Association, 2003.
- Demery, L.W. "US transit funding - Part 6: Elsewhere in the USA (East Coast) [Boston]" Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, July 1990 (53: 631), p. 219-222.
- Kyper, F. "Tramways in Boston today - Part 1" Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, Jan. 1968 (31: 361), p.11-16.
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). System Route Map. 1956.
- Pence, H. "Blizzard buries Boston" Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2015 (78: 930), p.226-230.
- Simons, V. "Branching out in Boston", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2022 (85: 1015), p.254-260.
- Simons, V. "Systems Factfile No.99: Boston, USA", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2015 (78: 936), p.488-492.
- Taplin, M.R. Tramways of North America, including rapid transit [Tramway Handbooks No.4] Hassocks (West Sussex, England): Light Rail Transit Association, 1981.
- Ashmont–Mattapan High-Speed Line
- Blue Line (MBTA)
- Boston-area streetcar lines
- Boston Elevated Railway
- Boston Street Railway Association
- Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway
- Green Line (MBTA)
- History of the MBTA
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
- Orange Line (MBTA)
- Red Line (MBTA)
- Boston (on UrbanRail.Net)
- Boston Street Railway Association
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
Also, thanks to Jean Liou in France and Russell Powers from Denver CO for information on the history of the Boston system.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2022
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.