|Above: YouTubeCA video - Dallas Streetcars 1955 - Length: 1:00 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA video - Dallas Oak Lawn Streetcar Line No 8 - Length: 10:45 mins.|
INSET: CENTRAL DALLAS
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as templates for these maps correspond to the situation at the time the maps were downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, they may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Dallas Railway and Terminus Co.
Note: The following are paired routes: 3 - 4, 8 - 16.
|1||Belmont||Downtown - Commerce St. - Live Oak St. - Bryan St. - Matilda St. - Mockingbird Lane|
|3||Junius Hts.||Downtown - Main St. - Columbia Av. - Gaston Av.|
|4||Cole||Downtown - McKinney Av. - Cole Av. - Knox St.|
|6||Forest||Downtown - Lamar St. [now: Botham Jean Blvd.] - Forest Av. [now: Martin Luther King Blvd.] - Second Av.|
|8||Oak Lawn||Downtown - Commerce St. - St. Paul St. - McKinney Av. - Bowen St. - Hawthorne Av.|
|10||Sunset||Downtown - Trinity River Bridge - Jefferson Blvd. - Brooklyn Av. - Pierce St.|
|11||Hampton||Downtown - Trinity River Bridge - Jefferson Blvd. - Brandon St. - Pierce St.|
|12||Second||Downtown - Main St. - Exposition - Second Av. - Hatcher St. [now: Elsie Faye Heggins Street]|
|14||Forney||Downtown - Main St. - Exposition - Haskell Av. - Dolphin Rd.|
|16||Seventh||Downtown - Trinity River Bridge - Colorado Blvd. - 7th St. - Kings Highway|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Mule-drawn streetcars: 7 Feb. 1873 - ?.
- Steam dummies (Steam-operated streetcars): 1880 - 1890.
- Electric streetcars (1st generation): 1889 - 15 Jan. 1956.
- Electric streetcars (2nd generation): 13 Apr. 2015 - today.
- Heritage streetcars: 22 July 1989 - today.
- Interurbans: 1902 - 31 Dec. 1948.
- LRT: 14 June 1996 - today.
- Automated People Mover (APM) - DFW Skylink: 21 May 2005 - today
- 1435 mm. (all systems except APM)
- Lietwiler, C. "Dallas: Light rail is preparing for expansion", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, March 1997 (60: 711), p.93-96.
- Lyons, M. "Tracks of transformation: 25 years of DART rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2021 (84: 1004), p.321-339.
- Simons, V. "Dallas streetcar: A US first", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2015 (78: 933), p.361-362.
- Simons, V. "Dallas: The US urban rail pathfinder", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 2017 (80: 959), p.412-416.
- Simons, V. "DART hits the target", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2011 (74: 878), p.50-53.
- Simons, V. "DART takes flight", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2014 (77: 924), p.498-503.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Dallas: Passenger boom fuels major expansion", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2007 (70: 830), p.55-59.
- Zapalac, G. "The PCC era in Dallas", in Southern Traction, 10 Dec. 1967.
- Dallas Streetcar
- DART light rail
- DFW Skylink
- McKinney Avenue Transit Authority
- Texas Electric Railway
- Texas Interurban Railway
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me copious amounts of information and documents concerning the history of the Dallas streetcar and interurban systems.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.