Dallas after the extension of the Dallas Streetcar to Bishop Arts on 29 Aug. 2016 and the
extension of the Blue Line (LRT) to UNT Dallas on 24 Oct. 2016.
|Above: YouTubeCA video - Look at How They Turn Around this Tram! The McKinney Avenue Trolley in Dallas, Texas - Length: 8:06 mins.
||Above: YouTubeCA video - Onboard and Around the Dallas Streetcar - Length: 40:18 mins.
||Above: YouTubeCA video - LightRail in Downtown Dallas, Texas 2018 - Length: 10:28 mins.
||Above: YouTubeCA video - Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport DFW Skylink Outer Loop Ride (Counter Clockwise) 5/3/19 - Length: 19:20 mins.
INSET: CENTRAL DALLAS
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as templates for these maps correspond to the situation at the time the maps were downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, they may show bridges and highways that were built later.
HERITAGE STREETCAR ROUTE
Operator: McKinney Avenue Transit Association (MATA)
||Pearl / Arts District - Olive St. [back: St. Paul St.] - McKinney Av. - Cityplace
Operator: Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
||Union Station - Houston Viaduct - Bishop Arts
LIGHT RAIL ROUTES
Operator: Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
||Downtown Rowlett - Garland - LBJ / Skillman - Mockingbird - Cityplace - Pearl / Arts District - Union Station -
8th and Corinth - Illinois - UNT Dallas
||Buckner - Lawnview - Fair Park - Baylor University Medical Center - Cityplace - Pearl / Arts District - Victory -
Burbank - Bachman - Farmers Branch - North Carrollton /Frankford
||[Rush hours: Parker Road - Downtown Plano - ] LBJ/Central - Mockingbird - Cityplace - Pearl / Arts District - Victory -
Burbank - Bachman - U of Dallas - Las Colinas - DFW Airport Terminal A
||Parker Road - Downtown Plano - LBJ/Central - Mockingbird - Cityplace - Pearl / Arts District - Union Station -
8th and Corinth - Westmoreland
AUTOMATED PEOPLE MOVER (APM) SYSTEM
Operator: Bombardier Transportation
||DFW Airport Terminal A - Terminal E [Circular route, both directions])
The route indicators M, DS, B, G, O, R and DFW are for convenience only, and are not used by the operators.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Heritage streetcar line: 7.4 km.
- Dallas Streetcar: 4 km.
- Light Rail: 150 km.
- Automated People Mover (APM) - DFW Skylink: 7.7 km.
- Mule-drawn streetcars: 7 Feb. 1873 - ?.
- Steam dummies (Steam-operated streetcars): 1880 - 1890.
- Electric streetcars (1st generation): 1889 - 15 Jan. 1956.
- Electric streetcars (2nd generation): 13 Apr. 2015 - today.
- Heritage streetcars: 22 July 1989 - today.
- Interurbans: 1902 - 31 Dec. 1948.
- LRT: 14 June 1996 - today.
- Automated People Mover (APM) - DFW Skylink: 21 May 2005 - today
- 1435 mm. (all systems except APM)
- Lietwiler, C. "Dallas: Light rail is preparing for expansion", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, March 1997 (60: 711), p.93-96.
- Lyons, M. "Tracks of transformation: 25 years of DART rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2021 (84: 1004), p.321-339.
- Simons, V. "Dallas streetcar: A US first", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2015 (78: 933), p.361-362.
- Simons, V. "Dallas: The US urban rail pathfinder", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 2017 (80: 959), p.412-416.
- Simons, V. "DART hits the target", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2011 (74: 878), p.50-53.
- Simons, V. "DART takes flight", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2014 (77: 924), p.498-503.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Dallas: Passenger boom fuels major expansion", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2007 (70: 830), p.55-59.
- Zapalac, G. "The PCC era in Dallas", in Southern Traction, 10 Dec. 1967.
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me copious amounts of information and documents
concerning the history of the Dallas streetcar and interurban systems.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2022
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.