FIRST INSET: DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES
SECOND INSET: THE LOS ANGELES REGION
Operator: Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro)
Note: The two or three-character codes used to identify routes below and in the maps are for convenience only, and were not used by the operating company.
LIGHT RAIL ROUTES
|BL||Blue Line||7th St. / Metro Center – Pico – Vernon – Firestone – Imperial / Wilmington / Rosa Parks – Compton – Del Amo – Willow – Long Beach|
|GoL||Gold Line||Atlantic – 3rd St. – 1st St. – Union Station – Chinatown – Highland Park – South Pasadena – Pasadena (Sierra Madre Villa)|
|GrL||Green Line||Norwalk – Lakewood – Imperial / Wilmington / Rosa Parks – Vermont – Hawthorne – Aviation/LAX – Redondo Beach|
|PL||Purple Line||Union Station - Civic Center - 7th St. / Metro Center - Wilshire / Vermont - Wilshire / Western|
|RL||Red Line||Union Station - Civic Center - 7th St. / Metro Center - Wilshire / Vermont - Vermont / Sunset - North Hollywood|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- LRT lines: 99.1 km.
- Blue Line: 35.4 km.
- Gold Line: 31.5 km.
- Green Line: 32.2 km.
- Subway lines: 25.4 km.
- Purple line (alone): 1.8 km.
- Red line (alone): 17.4 km.
- Purple / Red common line: 6.2 km.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: 1874 - 1896
- Cablecars: 1888 - 1896
- Electric streetcars: 1 July 1891 - 1963
- Interurban railways: 1887 - 9 Apr. 1961
- Light rail: 14 July 1990 - today.
- Subway: 30 Jan. 1993 - today
- Streetcars (Los Angeles Railway): 1067 mm.
- Interurbans (Pacific Electric): 1435 mm.
- Light Rail: 1435 mm.
- Subway: 1435 mm.
The Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, southeast of Riverside, owns and operates a large collection of vintage Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Railway streetcars over 0.8km dual-gauge and 2.4km standard gauge track.
- "Los Angeles and San Francisco", The Modern Tramway, Nov. 1949 (12: 143), p.221-224.
- Simons, V. "LA Light Rail on the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2017 (80: 953), p.172-175.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles: Gone but not forgotten", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2010 (73: 866), p.76-77.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles: Light rail to the Beach - and beyond", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2016 (79: 944), p.295-300.
- Simons, V. "Los Angeles - The transformation continues", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2009 (72: 864), p.460-463.
- Simons, V. "Update from Los Angeles", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2013 (76: 905), p.175.
- Skelsey, G. "Hill Street Blues" [The Pacific Electric Railway (PE)], Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, Aug. 1988 (51: 608), p.263-269.
- Smith, G.E. "Los Angeles - The S route", The Modern Tramway, Oct. 1961 (24: 286), p.295-298.
- Walker, J. Images of Rail: Pacific Electric red cars. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2006.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - Megacity needs more light rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2007 (70: 833), p.172-176.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - New light rail line brings gold to Pasadena", Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2007 (70: 834), p.217-219.
- Wansbeek, C.J. "Los Angeles - Metrolink: Successful urban rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2007 (70: 835), p.258-261.
- Washington, P. & Simon, V. "LA: Building back better in action", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2020 (83: 996), p.458-463.
- History of LACMTA
- List of Pacific Electric lines
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Los Angeles Metro Rail
- Los Angeles Railway
- Pacific Electric
- Santa Monica Air Line
- Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California (ERHA)
- Los Angeles (on UrbanRail.Net)
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.