|Above: YouTubeCA video - New Orleans St. Charles Streetcar Line - Length: 12:13 mins.||Above: YouTubeCA video - New Orleans Streetcar (NORTA): St. Charles Line (Line 12) -- FULL RIDE! - Length: 47:13 mins.|
Diego Delso CC-BY-SA
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: New Orleans Public Service Incorporated (NOPSI)
|SC||St. Charles||Canal St. - St. Charles Av. - S. Carrollton Av. - S. Claiborne Av.|
NB: The two-letter route designation SC is for convenience only, and was not used by the operator.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcars: 10.6 km.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: 23 Apr. 1831 (oldest continuous streetcar service in the world) - 1895 (?).
- Steam-operated streetcars: 27 Sept. 1832 - 1874 (?).
- Electric streetcars: 1 Feb. 1893 - today.
- Streetcars: Origins - 1929: 1,435 mm.; 1929 - today: 1,588 mm.
- Hennick, L.C. & Charlton, E.H. The streetcars of New Orleans. Gretna (LA): Jackson Square Press, 1975.
- Lietwiler, C.J. "New Orleans: Streetcars return to Canal Street", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2004 (67: 803), p.452-456.
- Rice, W.E. "New Orleans: Where Perley Thomas streetcars still rule", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Nov. 1997 (60: 719), p.422-425.
- Simons, V. "New Orleans desires streetcar expansion", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2018 (81: 965), p.173-175.
- Simons, V. "New Orleans: Five years on from Katrina", Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2010 (73: 870), p.214-217.
- Simons, V. "New Orleans is finally on the move - and on the up", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2014 (77: 917), p.198-200.
- New Orleans streetcars
- Railway preservation - U.S. Streetcar Systems- Louisiana
- RTA - Regional Transit Authority
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me copious amounts of information and documents concerning the history of the New Orleans streetcar system.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2023
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.