I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Christchurch Transport Board
NB: Eight of the twelve tram routes in Christchurch were part of through operations: instead of terminating at Cathedral Square, they simply changed their route number and continued on the appropriate route. These routes are shown below under the combined route numbers, e.g. 1/2 shows route 1 between Papanui & Cathedral Square and route 2 between Cathedral Square & Cashmere.
|1/2||Papanui Rd. - Papanui Rd. - Cathedral Square - Colombo St. - Cashmere (Sign of the Takahe)|
|3||Cathedral Square - Ferry Rd. - Ferrymead - Moncks Bay - Sumner|
|4/7||St. Albans - Colombo St. - Cathedral Square - Lincoln Rd. - Hillmorton|
|5||Cathedral Square - Cashel St. - Pages Rd. - New Brighton|
|8||Cathedral Square - Riccarton Rd. - Riccarton|
|9/13||Fendalton - Fendalton Rd. - Cathedral Square - Colombo St. - Opawa|
|12||Cathedral Square - Colombo St. - St. Martins|
|14/16||Spreydon - Colombo St. - Cathedral Sq. - Colombo St. - Richmond - St. Albans Park|
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF TRAM LINES
- 1946 May 19: 12
- 1950 Feb. 5: 9/13
- 1952 Oct. 18: 5
- 1952 Dec. 6: 3
- 1953 June 14: 8
- 1953 June 21: 14/16
- 1953 July 26: 4/7
- 1954 Sept. 10: 1/2
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tram lines: ? km.
- Horse tramways: 1882 - 6 Aug. 1906
- Steam tramways : 9 March 1880 - ?.
- Electric tramways (1st generation): 5 June 1905 - 10 Sept. 1954.
- Electric (tourist) tramway: 4 Feb. 1995 - 22 Feb. 2011 (suspended because of the Christchurch Earthquake); Nov. 2013 - today.
- Tramways: 1435 mm.
- Bush, G. "Christchurch - History on the move", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Aug. 1995 (58:692), p.254-255.
- Bush, G. "Christchurch - History turns full circle", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1995 (58:691), p.215-218.
- Price, J.H. "Museum News - Christchurch", Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, Apr. 1969 (32:376), p.122-125.
- Stewart, G. The end of the penny section: When trams ruled the streets of New Zealand. Wellington: Grantham House Publishing, rev.ed., 1993.
- Christchurch tram routes
- Christchurch tramway system
- Christchurch Transport Board
- Trams in New Zealand
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2019
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.