I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
HERITAGE TRAM ROUTE
Operator: Welcome Aboard Christchurch
|Heritage tram line||Cathedral Jctn. - Cathedral Square - Oxford Terrace - Cashel St. - High St. & Lichfield St. - High St. - Cathedral Square - Worcester Blvd. - Rolleston Av. - Armagh St. - Cathedral Jctn. [Loop route, clockwise only]|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Heritage tram line: 4 km.
- Horse tramways: 1882 - 6 Aug. 1906
- Steam tramways : 9 March 1880 - ?.
- Electric tramways (1st generation): 5 June 1905 - 10 Sept. 1954.
- Electric (tourist) tramway: 4 Feb. 1995 - 22 Feb. 2011 (suspended because of the Christchurch Earthquake); Nov. 2013 - today.
- Tramways: 1435 mm.
- Bush, G. "Christchurch - History on the move", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Aug. 1995 (58:692), p.254-255.
- Bush, G. "Christchurch - History turns full circle", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1995 (58:691), p.215-218.
- Price, J.H. "Museum News - Christchurch", Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, Apr. 1969 (32:376), p.122-125.
- Stewart, G. The end of the penny section: When trams ruled the streets of New Zealand. Wellington: Grantham House Publishing, rev.ed., 1993.
- Christchurch tram routes
- Christchurch tramway system
- Christchurch Transport Board
- Trams in New Zealand
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2019
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.