INSET: CENTRAL MELBOURNE
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Yarra Trams
|1||East Coburg - Lygon St. - University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Sturt St. - Park St. - Victoria Av. - South Melbourne Beach|
|3||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Balaclava Rd. - East Malvern|
|5||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Dandenong Rd. - Malvern|
|6||Moreland - Lygon St. - University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - High St. - Glen Iris|
|11||West Preston - Gilbert Rd. - St. Georges Rd. - Brunswick St. - Collins St. - Victoria Harbour|
|12||Victoria Gardens - Victoria St. - Victoria Parade - Collins St. - Spencer St. - Clarendon St. - Mills St. - Park St. - St. Kilda|
|16||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - St. Kilda Beach - Balaclava Rd. - Glenferrie Rd. - Kew|
|19||North Coburg - Royal Parade - Elizabeth St. - Flinders Street Stn.|
|30||St Vincents Plaza - Victoria Parade - La Trobe St. - Etihad Stadium|
|35||Waterfront City - Docklands Dr. - [Loop in both directions: - Etihad Stadium - La Trobe St. - Spring St. - Flinders St. - Flinders St. Station - Flinders St. - Harbour Esplanade - ] [City Circle (tourist line); Loop route, both directions]|
|48||North Balwyn - High St. - Bridge Rd. - Wellington Parade - Spring St. - Collins St. - Victoria Harbour|
|57||West Maribyrnong - Maribyrnong Rd. - Newmarket - Abbotsford St. - Victoria St. - Elizabeth St. - Flinders Street Stn.|
|58||West Coburg - Melville Rd. - Flemmington Rd. - Peel St. - Wiiliam St. - Queens Bridge St. - Kings Way - Park St. - Domain Interchange - Domain Rd. - Toorak Rd. - Toorak|
|59||Airport West - Essendon - Mooney Ponds - Flemmington Rd. - Elizabeth St. - Flinders Street Stn.|
|64||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Dandenong Rd. - Hawthorn Rd. - East Brighton|
|67||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Brighton Rd. - Glenhuntly - Carnegie|
|70||Wattle Park - Riversdale Rd. - Swan St. - Richmond - Melbourne Park - Flinders St. - Harbour Esplanade - Docklands Dr. - Waterfront City|
|72||University of Melbourne - Swanston St. - Flinders St. Station - St. Kilda Rd. - Malvern Rd. - Burke Rd. - Camberwell|
|75||Vermont South - Burwood Highway - Toorak Rd. - Camberwell Rd. - Riversdale Rd. - Bridge Rd. - Wellington Parade - Flinders St. - Harbour Esplanade - Etihad Stadium|
|78||North Richmond - Church St. - Chapel St. - Balaclava|
|82||Footscray - West Maribyrnong - Maribyrnong Rd. - Moonee Ponds|
|86||Bundoora RMIT - Kingsbury - Thornbury - Northcote - Westgarth - Smith St. - Gertrude St. - Nicholson St. - Bourke St. - Spencer St. - La Trobe St. - Docklands Dr. - Waterfront City|
|96||East Brunswick - Nicholson St. - Bourke St. - Spencer St. - Ferrars St. - Canterbury Rd. - St. Kilda Beach|
|109||Box Hill - Whitehorse Rd. - Cotham Rd. - Victoria St. - Victoria Parade - Collins St. - Spencer St. - Port Melbourne Railway Line - Port Melbourne|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tram lines: 256 km.
- Cable tramways: 1885 - 26 Oct. 1940.
- Electric tramways (Doncaster): 1889 - 1896.
- Electric tramways (Melbourne): 7 May 1906 - today.
- Suburban light railway (Port Melbourne line): 13 Apr. 1854 - 10 Oct. 1987 (converted to electric tramway).
- Suburban light railway (St Kilda line): 13 May 1857 - 1 July 1987 (converted to electric tramway).
- Cable trams & Trams: 1435 mm.
- Suburban light railways (Port Melbourne & St.Kilda lines): 1600 mm. (converted to 1435 mm in 1987)
The Melbourne Tram Museum @ Hawthorn Depot houses a large collection of old trams, both from Melbourne and elsewhere.
There is also the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant service, which actually offers lunch and dinner on three heritage SW3 tramcars running on city tram tracks.
- Keenan, D.R. Melbourne tramways. Sans Souci (N.S.W.): Transit Press, 1985
- Marshall-Wood, L. "The development of the Melbourne tramways", The Modern Tramway, March 1948 (11:123), p.22,24.
- "Melbourne: Modernising the world's largest tramway", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2015 (78: 927), Special review supplement (18p.)
- "Rebuilding Domain Interchange: Local knowledge meets international technology", Tramways & Urban Transit, June 2014 (77: 918), p.252-254.
- "Renewals: The Melbourne way", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2019 (82: 980), p.297-298.
- Russell, M. "Melbourne's tramways - moving with the times", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2010 (73: 873), p.334-338.
- Wilson, R. & Budd D.. The Melbourne tram book. Sydney: University of New South Wales Press, rev.ed., 2005.
- Melbourne cable tramway system
- List of Melbourne tram routes
- Port Melbourne railway line, Melbourne
- Railways in Melbourne
- St Kilda railway line, Melbourne
- Trams in Melbourne
- Yarra Trams
- Cable Tramways in Australia and New Zealand [by Joe Thompson]
- Melbourne's tram history
- Public Transport Victoria (PTV)
- Yarra Trams
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2019
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.