Operator: Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
|Midland Metro||Snow Hill Station - The Hawthorns - Kenrick Park - West Bromwich - Black Lake - Wednesbury - Bilston - Priestfield - Wolverhampton|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramway: 20 km.
- Horse tramways: 20 May 1872 - 1907.
- Steam tramways: 1882 - 31 Dec. 1906.
- Cable tramways: 1888 - 1911.
- First-generation electric tramway: 4 Jan. 1904 - 4 July 1953.
- Revived tramway (Midland Metro): 31 May 1999 - today.
- Tramways (First-generation tramways): 1067 mm.
- Midland Metro: 1435 mm.
- Ballinger, M. "Midland Metro: 'One damn thing after another'" Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1995 (58: 691), p.208-210.
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- "Birmingham City transport tramway services" The Modern Tramway, Feb. 1946 (9: 97), p.15.
- Gilbert, C. "Memories of Birmingham's steam trams" Modern Tramway, Apr.-May 1965 (28: 328-329), p.117-127 and 162-170.
- Hewitt, P. & Moreno, A. "Birmingham's 'Big Bang'" Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2017 (80: 955), p.256-261.
- Hewitt, P. & Moreno, A. "Midland Metro to 2030" Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2017 (80: 957), p.335-340.
- Jaques, P. (ed.) Camwell's Birmingham: One man's transport perspective. Droitwich: Birmingham Transport Historical Group, 2007.
- Birmingham Corporation Tramways
- Transport for West Midlands
- Transport in Birmingham
- West Midlands Metro
Thanks to Urs Mattmann (from London, England) for the information and photos he kindly sent me concerning the Birmingham system.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2020
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.