Because of the complexity of the London-area rail transportation system, there are altogether six maps showing the routes:
- A map showing Central London
- A map showing North London
- A map showing East London
- A map showing Southeast London
- A map showing South London
- A map showing West London
It is possible to by-pass the maps:
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAPS
|AB||Albert Bridge||LB||London Bridge|
|AT||Acton Town||LBS||London Bridge Station|
|BB||Blackfriars Bridge||LSS||Liverpool Street Station|
|BSS||Broad Street Station||OC||Oxford Circus|
|CB||Chelsea Bridge||PC||Piccadilly Circus|
|CSS||Cannon Street Station||SA||South Acton|
|CX||Charing Cross||SB||Shepherd's Bush|
|E&C||Elephant & Castle||SS||Savoy Street|
|ER||Edgware Road||SWB||Southwark Bridge|
|FS||Fenchurch Street Station||TB||Tower Bridge|
|FSS||Farringdon Street Station||TCR||Tottenham Court Road|
|GR||Gloucester Road||TG||Turnham Green|
|HB||Highbury Station||VB||Vauxhall Bridge|
|HV||Holborn Viaduct Station||VE||Victoria Embankment|
|KS||Kingsway Subway||WB||Westminster Bridge|
|LaB||Lambeth Bridge||WlB||Waterloo Bridge|
Operator: London Transport Executive
|33||Manor House – Green Lanes – Islington – Angel – Bloomsbury – Kingsway Subway – Victoria Embankment – Westminster Bridge – Kennington – Brixton – Dulwich Road – West Norwood|
|35||Highgate (Archway Tavern) – Holloway – Islington – Angel – Bloomsbury – Kingsway Subway – Victoria Embankment – Westminster Bridge – Elephant & Castle – Camberwell – Peckham – New Cross – Brockley – Forest Hill|
|36||Victoria Embankment – Westminster Bridge [back: Blackfriars Bridge ] – Elephant & Castle – Bricklayers Arms – New Cross – Greenwich – Woolwich – Plumstead – Abbey Wood|
|38||Victoria Embankment – Blackfriars Bridge [back: Westminster Bridge] – Elephant & Castle – Bricklayers Arms – New Cross – Greenwich – Woolwich – Plumstead – Abbey Wood|
|40||Victoria Embankment (Savoy Street) – Westminster Bridge – Kennington – Camberwell – Peckham – New Cross – Greenwich – Woolwich|
|44||Woolwich – Eltham Church - Eltham Green [Weekdays only]|
|46||City – Southwark Bridge – Southwark – New Cross – Lewisham – Eltham Green - Eltham Church – Woolwich|
|72||Victoria Embankment (Savoy Street) – Westminster Bridge – Kennington – Camberwell – Peckham – New Cross – Lewisham – Eltham Green – Woolwich|
Note: The one- or two-letter route designations are strictly local to this site, and have never been used by the operating companies. Branches of individual lines are listed separately.
|B||Bakerloo Line||Elephant & Castle – Waterloo – Charing Cross – Piccadilly Circus – Oxford Circus – Marylebone – Paddington – Maida Vale – Harlesden – Wembley – Harrow & Wealdstone – Watford Junction|
|B||Bakerloo Line||[Branch:] Baker Street – South Hampstead – Wembley Park – Stanmore|
|C||Circle Line||Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Victoria Station – Embankment – Blackfriars – Aldgate – Liverpool Street Station – Moorgate - Farringdon Street Station – King's Cross St Pancras – Euston - Baker Street - Edgware - Paddington - Notting Hill - High Street Kensington - Gloucester Road [Circular route, both directions]|
|Ce||Central Line||Epping - Loughton - Woodford - Leytonstone - Leyton - Startford - Mile End - Liverpool Street Station – Bank – Holborn – Tottenham Court Road – Oxford Circus – Marble Arch – Notting Hill – Shepherd's Bush – North Acton - Ealing Broadway|
|Ce||Central Line||[Branch; stem traction]: Ongar - Epping|
|Ce||Central Line||[Branch]: Woodford - Chigwell - Hainault - Barkingside - Wanstead - Leytonstone|
|Ce||Central Line||[Branch]: North Acton - Greenford - West Ruislip|
|D||District Line||[Ealing Broadway – Acton Town] / [Richmond] – Turnham Green – Hammersmith – Earl's Court – Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Victoria Station – Embankment – Blackfriars – Aldgate – Whitechapel – Mile End – Barking – Dagenham – Upminster|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Edgware Road – Paddington Station – Notting Hill – High Street Kensington – Earl's Court – Putney – Wimbledon|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Hounslow West – Acton Town|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Acton Town – South Acton|
|D||District Line||[Branch:] Earl's Court - Kensington (Olympia)|
|M||Metropolitan Line||Hammersmith – Shepherd's Bush – Paddington – Edgware – Baker Street – Euston – King's Cross St Pancras – Farringdon Street Station – Moorgate – Liverpool Street Station – Aldgate - Whitechapel – Mile End – Barking|
|M||Metropolitan Line||[Branch:] Baker Street – South Hampstead – Wembley Park – Harrow – Ruislip – Uxbridge|
|M||Metropolitan Line||[Branch:] Harrow – Moor Park – Watford / Chesham / Brill / Verney Junction|
|M||Metropolitan Line||[Branch:] Shoreditch – Whitechapel – Surrey Docks – New Cross Gate / New Cross|
|M||Metropolitan Line||[Branch:] Aldgate - Mansion House|
|N||Northern Line||Edgware – Hendon – Golders Green – Hamstead – Camden Town – Euston – Tottenham Court Road – Leicester Square – Charing Cross – Waterloo – Kennington – Stockwell – Clapham – Tooting – Morden|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] High Barnet - Finchley - Highgate - Archway – Kentish Town – Camden Town|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Mill Hill East - Finchley|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Camden Town – Euston – King's Cross St.Pancras – Angel – Old Street – Moorgate – Bank – Elephant & Castle – Kennington|
|N||Northern Line||[Branch:] Moorgate – Finsbury Park|
|P||Piccadilly Line||Uxbridge – Ruislip – Sudbury – North Ealing – Acton Town – Turnham Green – Hammersmith – Earl's Court – Gloucester Road – South Kensington – Knightsbridge – Piccadilly Circus – Leicester Square – Holborn – King's Cross St.Pancras – Finsbury Park – Manor House – Wood Green – Southgate – Cockfosters|
|P||Piccadilly Line||[Branch:] Hounslow West – Acton Town|
|P||Piccadilly Line||[Branch]: Holborn – Aldwych|
|W&C||Waterloo & City Line||Waterloo – Bank|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramway: 75 km.
- Underground: ? km.
- Horse–powered:1860 – (First World War.)
- First-generation electric tramway (conduit and overhead electric supply): 1901 - 6 July 1952.
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): May 2000 – today.
- Dockland Light Railway (electric, 3rd rail): 31 Aug. 1987 - today.
- Underground: 10 Jan. 1863 - today (steam: 1863 - 1961; electric: 18 Dec. 1890 - today)
- Tramway (1st generation): 1435 mm.
- Dockland Light Railway: 1435 mm.
- Underground: 1435 mm. (also 2140 mm., 1863-1869)
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- British Railways pre-grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. London: Ian Allan, 5th ed., 1980.
- "Celebrating 20 years of Tramlink" Tramways & Urban Transit. June 2020 (83: 990), p.215-229.
- "London Tramlink", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2012 (75: 893), Supplement, 16p.
- "London Underground: 150 years and moving forward", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2014 (77: 914), p.61-79.
- Oakley, E.R. & Holland, C.E. London Transport Tramways, 1933-1952. Bexleyheath (Kent): London Tramways History Group, 1998.
- Owen, N. "Croydon: A successful first half-year", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2000 (63: 756), p.448-450.
- Pulling, N. "System Factfile No. 34: London Docklands, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2010 (73: 871), p.259-262.
- Pulling, N. "System Factfile No. 141: London trams, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2019 (82: 979), p.263-267.
- Rose, D. The London Underground: A diagrammatic history (sheet map). London: Douglas Rose, 2nd ed., 1983.
- Streeter; T. "DLR: BIM Innovations", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2016 (79: 939), p.100-102.
- Trolleybus & tram route map (sheet map). London: London Transport, 1950.
- Wyse, J. & Bayman, B. "Light rail comes to London: The DLR opens". In: Light Rail '87. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 1987 [p.13-24].
- Docklands Light Railway
- History of public transport authorities in London
- History of the London Underground
- Kingsway tramway subway
- London Passenger Transport Board
- London Underground
- Railway electrification in Great Britain
- Trams in London
- Transport for London
- Tube map
- The campaign to save the London Trams, 1946-1952
- London (on UrbanRail.Net)
- Trams in London
- Transport for London
Also, thanks to Geoffrey Tribe (from Leighton Buzzard, England) for information obtained through personal communication.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.