INSET: CENTRAL SHEFFIELD
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
TRAM ROUTES (SUPERTRAM)
Operator: Stagecoach Group, on behalf of the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE)
|B||Blue Line||Malin Bridge - Hillsborough - University of Sheffield - Cathedral - Park Square - Sheffield Station - Manor Top - Gleadless - Birley - Waterthorpe - Halfway|
|P||Purple Line||Herdings Park - Manor Top - Sheffield Station - Park Square - Cathedral [at certain times only: - Nunnery Square - Aftercliffe - Meadowhall]|
|T||Tram-train line||Cathedral - Park Square - Nunnery Square - Attercliffe - Meadowhall - Rotherham Central - Rotherham Parkgate|
|Y||Yellow Line||Middlewood - Hillsborough - University of Sheffield - Cathedral - Park Square - Nunnery Square - Attercliffe - Meadowhall|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramway (Supertram): 34.6 km.
- Horse–powered tramway: Oct. 1873 - Nov. 1902.
- First-generation electric tramway: 5 Sept. 1899 - 8 Oct. 1960.
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): 21 March 1994 – today.
- Tram-train (electric overhead): 25 Oct. 2018 - today.
- Tramway: 1435 mm.
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- Bower, R. "Sheffield Corporation Tramways", The Modern Tramway, June 1948 (11: 126), p.49; 52-54.
- Fox, P. "Tram operation in Sheffield: Progress, problems and a crisis". In: Light Rail Review 7. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 1995 [p.63-71].
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile No.40 - Sheffield Supertram, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2011 (74:877), p.19-22.
- Jones, B. "Sheffield: South Yorkshire's quiet success story", Tramways & Urban Transit, June-July 2007 (70:834-835), p.212-216; 253-256.
- Read, G.. "Sheffield: Double the distance?", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2003 (66: 788), p.288-291.
- Rotherham Tramway
- Sheffield Supertram
- Sheffield Tramway
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- Stagecoach Group
- Transport in Sheffield
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2020
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.