Operator: Stagecoach Group , on behalf of the Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority (GMITA)
TRAM ROUTES (TRAMLINK)
Route numbers were not in everyday use.
|1||Piccadilly Station - Old Trafford - Stretford - Altrincham|
|2||Piccadilly Station - Victoria Station - Prestwich - Bury|
|3||Piccadilly Station - Old Trafford - Eccles|
|4||Bury - Prestwich - Victoria Station - Old Trafford - Stretford - Altrincham [Does not run early in the morning and in the evening during weekdays and Saturday; does not run at all on Sunday]|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Tramway (Metrolink): 37 km.
- Horse-powered tramways: 17 May 1877 - 1903.
- Steam-powered tramways: 1882 - 1905.
- First-generation electric tramways: 7 June 1901 - 10 Jan. 1949 (in Bury until Feb. 1949 and in Stockport until 25 Aug. 1951).
- Revived tramway (electric overhead): 20 July 1992 – today.
- Tramways / Metrolink: 1435 mm.
The Museum of Transport , in Smedley, just north of Victoria Station, has a horse-drawn tram, two early electric trams and the prototype Metrolink tram from the early 1990s.
- Bett, W.H. & Gillham, J.C. Great British tramway networks. London: Light Railway Transport League, 1962.
- "MetroLink: Next stop ... Trafford Park", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2019 (82: 980), p.294-296.
- "Metrolink on the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2008 (71: 847), 24p. supplement.
- Symons, J. & Johnston, H. "Manchester: The 20 year wait for a tram!", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2002 (65: 775), p.248-252.
- Wilson, A. "A brief history of the Manchester tramways", The Modern Tramway. Nov. 1941 (4: 47), p.124-125. and Dec. 1941 (4: 48), p.140-141.
- Pulling, N. "Systems Factfile Special: Metrolink, Manchester, UK", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2011 (74: 883), p.263-268.
- Yearsley, I. The Manchester tram. Huddersfield: The Advertiser Press,1962.
- Young, A.P. "Britain's first new generation tramway", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, July 1992 (55: 655), p.173-179.
- Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive
- History of Manchester Metrolink
- Manchester Corporation Tramways
- Manchester Metrolink
- Museum of Transport, Greater Manchester
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.