LIGHT RAIL ROUTES
Operator: Metropolitan Transit System
|BL||Blue Line||Old Town Transit Center – Sante Fe Depot – America Plaza – City College – 12th & Imperial Transit Center – Bayfront Street – Palm Avenue – San Ysidro / Tijuana (US-Mexico border)|
|GL||Green Line||Old Town Transit Center – Rio Vista – Mission San Diego – San Diego State University (SDSU) – Grossmont Transit Center – El Cajon Transit Center – Gillespie Field – Santee Town Center|
|OL||Orange Line||12th & Imperial Transit Center – Convention Center – America Plaza – City College – 12th & Imperial Transit Center – Euclid Ave. – Lemon Grove Depot – Grossmont Transit Center – El Cajon Transit Center – Gillespie Field|
Note: Route designations by letter are not used by the operator.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Light rail lines: 82.2 km.
- Horse-trams: 3 July 1886 - ?
- Cable cars: 7 June 1890 - 15 Oct. 1892
- Streetcars: 19 Nov. 1887 - 24 Apr. 1949
- Light rail: 26 July 1981 - today
- Streetcars: 1435 mm. (after 1898); 1067 mm. until 1898
- Light rail: 1435 mm.
The San Diego Vintage Trolley, Inc. restores old San Diego streetcars and hopes to operate them in the future over the regular downtown San Diego Trolley tracks for touristic purposes.
- Mills, J.R. "Ten years of the San Diego trolley: A decade of success in California", Light Rail & Modern Tramway, Jan. 1992 (55:649), p.12-17.
- Rice, W. & Robins, K. "San Diego - Where red LRVs rule", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 1999 (62:743), p.412-414.
- San Diego, California: Street guide & automobile road map. San Diego: San Diego Trust & Savings Bank, ca. 1930 and 1940.
- San Diego street guide. San Diego: San Diego Street Guide Publishers, 1941.
- Simons, V. "San Diego: A US original", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2013 (76: 908), p.344-347.
- San Diego Class 1 Streetcars
- San Diego Electric Railway
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
- San Diego Trolley
- MTS: San Diego Trolley
- San Diego (on UrbanRail.Net)
- San Diego Electric Railway Association (SDERA)
- San Diego historic streetcars
Also, thanks to Rob Van Laun of San Diego for his kind corrections of my maps of the original San Diego streetcar network.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2020
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.