INSET: CENTRAL PORTLAND
INSET: WESTERN PORTLAND
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF STREETCAR TRACKS BETWEEN MAY 1943 AND 25 JAN. 1958 (affected route designations in parantheses)
- 1944 Aug. 24: NW Pettygrove St. - NW Ariel Terr. & NW Cumberland Rd. (WO)
- 1947 Dec. 27: N Broadway - SE Ankeny Street, SE Ankeny Street - SE Hawthorne Blvd. (BT)
- 1948 (exact dates unknown): SW Madison St. - NE Mason St. (BW); SW Madison St. - [NE 80th Av. & SE Stark St.] / [NE 90th Av. & NE Glisan Street] (MV)
- 1948 Apr. 22: SW 11th Ave., Morrison Bridge - SE 88th Av. (MT)
- 1948 Aug. 1: SW Alder St. - NE Ainsworth St. (AB)
- 1950 Feb. 26 (End of municipal streetcar services): SW 5th Av. - Council Crest (CC); SW 5th Av. - NW 27th Av. (TT); SW 3rd Av. & SW Morrison St. - Willamette Heights (WH)
- 1949 (exact date unknown): Bellrose - Gresham (BG)
- 1955 (Exact date unknown): Downtown Portland - East Side Terminus (BG, OC)
- 1958 Jan. 25 (End of interurban services): East Side Terminus - Bellrose (BG); East Side Terminus - Oregon City (OC)
Operator: Portland Traction
|AB||Alberta||SW Alder St. - NW 3rd Av. - Railroad Bridge - Union Av. - NE Alberta St. - NE 30th Av. - NE Ainsworth St.|
|BT||Bridge Transfer||N Broadway - N Larrabee Av. - NE Holladay Street - SE Grand Ave. - SE Hawthorne Blvd.|
|BW||Broadway||SW Madison St. - Broadway - Broadway Bridge - N Broadway - NE 24th St. [back: NE 22nd St.] - NE Regents Dr. - NE 29th Av. - NE Mason St.|
|CC||Council Crest||SW 5th Av. - SW Washington St. [back: SW Morrison St.] - W Burnside St. - SW Vista Av. - Portland Heights - Council Crest|
|MT||Mount Tabor||SW 13th Av & SW Montgomery St. - SW 11th Ave. - SW Morrison St. - Morrison Bridge - SE Morrison St. - SE Belmont St. - SE 88th Av.|
|MV||Montavilla||SW 3rd Av. & SW Morrison St. - Morrison Bridge - SE Grand Av. - SE Ankeny Street - SE 28th Ave. - NE Glisan Street - [NE 80th Av. & SE Stark St.] / [NE 90th Av. & NE Glisan Street]|
|TT||Twenty-third Ave.||SW 3rd Av. & SW Washington St. - SW Washington St. - W Burnside St. - NW 23rd Av. - NW Thurman St. - NW 27th Av. - NW Upshur St. - NW 27th Av. [loop back to NW Thurman St.]|
|WH||Willamette Heights||SW 3rd Av. & SW Morrison St. - SW Morrison St. [back: W Burnside St. - SW Washington St.] - NW 19th Av. - NW Glisan St. - NW 21st Av. - NW Northrup St. - NW 25th Av. - NW Raleigh St. - NW 27th Av. - NW Thurman St. - Willamette Heights (NW Gordon St. & NW Thurman St.)|
|WO||Westover||SW 3rd Av. & SW Morrison St. - SW Morrison St. [back: W Burnside St. - SW Washington St.] - NW 19th Av. - NW Glisan St. - NW 21st Av. - NW Northrup St. - NW 25th Av. - NW Pettygrove St. - NW Cumberland Rd. - NW Ariel Terr. & NW Cumberland Rd. [Rush hours only]|
Operator: Portland Electric Power Company
|BG||Bellrose - Gresham||SW 1st Av. & SW Morrison St. - SW 1st Av. - Hawthorne Bridge - Sellwood - Bellrose - Gresham|
|OC||Oregon City||SW 1st Av. & SW Morrison St. - SW 1st Av. - Hawthorne Bridge - Sellwood - Oak Grove - Oregon City|
Note: The two-letter route designations are for the convenience of readers only, and were not used by the operators.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar line: ? km.
- Interurban lines: ? km.
- Horse-trams: 1872 - May 1892
- Cable cars: 1890 - 1904
- Streetcars: (1) 17 Nov. 1889 - 28 Feb. 1950; (2) 20 July 2001 - today
- Interurbans (electric): 1890 - 25 Jan. 1958
- Light rail: 5 Sept. 1986 - today
- Aerial tramway (Cable car): 15 Dec. 2006 - today
- Original streetcars (except for the Sellwood line): 1067 mm.
- Interurbans and the Sellwood streetcar line: 1435 mm.
- Light rail and modern streetcars: 1435 mm.
The Oregon Electric Railway Museum (near Salem, south of Portland) and the Willamette Shore Trolley (between lake Oswego and Portland) run vintage Portland streetcars on museum tracks.
- Fox, G. "LRT v. buses: Why Portland chose light rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, Oct. 2009 (72: 862), p.390-392.
- Labbe, J.T. Fares Please! - Those Portland Trolley Years. Caldwell (ID): Caxton, 1980.
- Lietwiler, C. "Portland: Light rail paves the way to a finer future", Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 1998 (61: 721), p.18-20.
- Lietwiler, C. "Portland: Now there are four light rail lines", Tramways & Urban Transit, Aug. 2004 (67: 800), p.298-299.
- Lietwiler, C. "Portland: Planning 50 years ahead", Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 1998 (61: 722), p.369-375.
- Richard, T. Portland's streetcars. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2006.
- Simons, V. "Portland: Green meets Orange", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2015 (78: 936), p.473-478.
- Simons, V. "Portland just gets better and better", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 2009 (72: 863), p.420-423.
- Simons, V. "Portland: LRT pathfinder looks to the future", Tramways & Urban Transit, May 2013 (76: 905), p.170-174.
- Taplin, M.R. "Portland: The streetcar makes a welcome comeback", Tramways & Urban Transit, Oct. 2001 (64: 766), p.369-375.
- Wilson, D., Morgan, S. & Clark B. "MAX takes off in Portland", Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, May 1987 (50: 593), p.154-165.
- Thompson, R. Portland's interurban railway. Charleston (NC): Arcadia Publishing, 2012
- MAX Light Rail
- Portland Aerial Tram
- MAX Light Rail
- Portland Streetcar
- Portland Vintage Trolley
- Rose City Transit
- Willamette Shore Trolley
- New York Subway: Portland Streetcar
- Oregon Pacific Railroad - History of the Portland Traction Co. & Pepco
- Portland Streetcar
- Portland Trolleys & Streetcars
Special thanks to Russell Powers from Denver CO for information on the history of the Portland system.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2020
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.