|Above: YouTubeCA video - The Old South Shore (America's Last Classic Interurban Railway) - Length: 10:53 mins.|
INSET: CENTRAL GARY
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF STREETCAR TRACKS (affected route designations in parentheses).
- 1940 June 9: Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. lines (11,12)
- 1940 Nov.: Bridge St. (Br); Buchanan St. - Sheet Mill (S)
- 1941 Jan.: 5th Av. - Pennsylvania Stn. (F)
- 1942 Jan. 25: Central Av. - Garyton (G)
- 1946 Aug. 21: 11th Av. - 9th Av. - Hammond (H)
- 1946 Aug. 31: Broadway - 26th Av. (B)
- 1947 Feb. 28: North Broadway Loop - Broadway - 2nd Av. - Tube Works (T)
Operator: Gary Railways
|B||Broadway||North Broadway Loop - Broadway - 26th Av.|
|Br||Fifth Ave. - Bridge Street||Broadway & 5th Av. - 5th Av. - Bridge St.|
|F||Fifth Ave. - Pennsylvania Station||Broadway & 5th Av. - 5th Av. - Pennsylvania Stn.|
|G||Garyton||North Broadway Loop - Broadway - Central Av. - Garyton|
|H||Hammond||North Broadway Loop - Broadway - 11th Av. - 9th Av. - Hammond (165th St. - Summer St. - Illinois State Line)|
|S||Fifth Ave. - Sheet Mill||Broadway & 5th Av. - 5th Av. - Buchanan St. - Sheet Mill|
|T||Tube Works||North Broadway Loop - Broadway - 2nd Av. - Tube Works|
NB: Route designations by letter are for convenience only and were not used by the operator.
Operator: Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co.
|11||Hammond||63rd St. & South Park (Chicago) - S Chicago Av. - Sheffield Av. - Hammond|
|12||East Chicago||63rd St. & South Park (Chicago) - S Chicago Av. - Forsyth Av. - E Chicago Av.|
Operator: Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad
|South Shore Line||Randolph Street Terminal (Chicago) - Roosevelt Rd. Station - 63rd St. Station - Kensington 115th St. - East Chicago Av. - Gary - Michigan City - South Bend|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Interurban lines: ? km.
- Electric streetcars (Gary): 20 Sept. 1908 - 28 Feb. 1947.
- Electric streetcars (Chicago - Hammond / East Chicago): 15 May - 9 June 1940.
- Interurbans: 1903 - today.
- All systems: 1435 mm.
- Buckley, J.J. "Hammond, Whiting and East Chicago Railway", Electric Railway Historical Society Bulletin No.8, 1953.
- Bullard, T.R. "Faster than the Limiteds", Central Electric Railfans' Association Bulletin No.137, 2004
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me information concerning the history of the streetcar and interurban systems in and around Gary.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2021
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.