|YouTubeCA video - Norfolk streetcars - Length: 4:03 mins.|
INSET: DOWNTOWN NORFOLK
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAPS
|HS||Halifax Street||LS||Liberty Street|
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is © OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM maps used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF STREETCAR TRACKS BETWEEN 1945 AND 12 JULY 1948 (affected route designations in parentheses).
- 1947 Sept. 9: Ocean View Av. - Willoughby Spit (2)
- 1947 Sept. 14: Hampton Blvd. - Naval Base (1); Lamberts Point (7); 25th St. (1,7); Church St. (6,7)
- 1947 Dec. 19: Granby St. (north of Riverview) (3)
- 1948 May 7: Main Street - (Old) Berkley Bridge - Liberty Av. - South Norfolk (Bainbridge Blvd.) (5) [earlier, also 8 to Liberty Av.]
- 1948 July 12: City Hall - Monticello Av. [back: Granby St.] - Granby St. - Fairmount Park - Chesapeake Blvd. - Ocean View Av. (4)
Operator: Virginia Electric & Power Co.
|1||Naval Base||City Hall - Monticello Av. [back: Granby St.] - Granby St. - 25th St. - Hampton Blvd. - Naval Base|
|2||Willoughby Spit via Granby||City Hall - Monticello Av. [back: Granby St.] - Granby St. - Ocean View Av. - Willoughby Spit|
|3||Ocean View Main Line via Granby||City Hall - Monticello Av. [back: Granby St.] - Granby St. - Ocean View Av.|
|4||Ocean View via Fairmount Park||City Hall - Monticello Av. [back: Granby St.] - Granby St. - Fairmount Park - Chesapeake Blvd. - Ocean View Av.|
|5||South Norfolk||Main Street - (Old) Berkley Bridge - Liberty Av. - South Norfolk (Bainbridge Blvd.)|
|6||Church - 18th||Main Street - Church St. - 18th St.|
|7||Lamberts Point||Main Street - Church St. - 25th St. - Lamberts Point|
|8||Riverview - RR Sttaion / Halifax & Liberty||Riverview - Granby St. - Granby St. [back: Monticello Av.] - Main Street - [Union Station / ((Old) Berkley Bridge - Liberty Av. - Halifax St.)]|
Operator: Norfolk Southern Railway
|Virginia Beach||Union Station - Lynnhaven - Virginia Beach|
|Cape Henry||Union Station - Bayside - Cape Henry - Virginia Beach|
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Interurban lines: 67 km.
- Horse-drawn streetcars: 12 Aug. 1870 – 1894/95.
- Electric streetcars (1st generation): 16 Oct. 1894 - 12 July 1948.
- Interurbans: (steam) 1902 - 1904; (electric) 1902 - 1935; (gasoline): 1935 - June 1948
- LRT: 19 Aug. 2011 - today.
- Streetcars (1st generation): 1588 mm. and (until 1919 (?)) also 1435 mm.
- Interurban (electric, later gasoline): 1435 mm.
- LRT: 1435 mm.
- Carter, J.M. "Norfolk, Virginia: Turning the tide", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 2009 (72: 863), p.424-425.
- Simons, V. "The Tide has turned in Norfolk", Tramways & Urban Transit, July 2012 (75: 895), p.259-261.
- Hays, J. "A look at Norfolk's streetcars before The Tide", The Virginian Pilot, 19 Aug. 2016.
- Map of old Norfolk Streetcar System - it must have been so easy to get around!
Also, many thanks to Mr Russell Powers of Lone Tree, CO, USA, for kindly sending me information and documents concerning the history of the Norfolk streetcar system.
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2019
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.